Chapter One: The Debt Still Stands

The trees of the woods whispered among themselves about their visitors, nearly 2 years had gone by since this many elleth were seen so far from Elvish lands at one time. The song in the breeze seemed to count each member as they trekked. The tune celebrated 120 all together, for it was120 all together that was seen leaving nearly 2 years ago. Before the fleet was the fair Dartha, no time had passed on her face, but several months had spun in her heart and mind for what she had seen and experience out there. It was her stubbornness that fueled her and a multitude of young elleth to leave their home in order to show themselves defenders of Middle Earth. Their conversation was kept at a low even though there was excitement hung over them, "We are about a week away." Those words made their rounds until it had reached the ears of their leader, "Perhaps we seek a bit of splendor in two days time, what says all?" Dartha openly questioned her troop, "Mirkwood is of our race. It will not be too much to ask for one night stay in their kingdom!"

Though their home was still a while away, they neared hopeful friends in the forest. The news fell well unto the ears of every member and the very joy quickened their pace, for they have not eaten at a dining table or laid in beds in almost 2 years! The reason behind their venture was the fact that evil once larked upon Middle Earth and their king chose to exclude his people from helping to fight it. His kingdom of Harlond in his understanding was far too west for the evil to consume, it would surely be destroyed by someone else before it could effect his people. The 6 Elf princes were enraged at their father's decision and tried to gather troops regardless, but the ellon soldiers feared King Barathon and battle so they did not go with the princes. Being denied to follow foot after her elder brothers, Dartha resorted in smuggling herself, and a band of brave elleth she had gathered, out from under the eyes of the king to aid the alliances against the evil one.

The majority of the elleth had sought out as simple daughters, sisters, wives, and mothers to be just healers for the fallen elf and men that braved to Mordor. None had left Harlond very mastered in combat, but after training and several encounters with fell things they were skilled swords-women and archers. They had seen many of the frightful things war had on towns and lives as they traveled aiding both the innocent and fallen soldiers. They were able to save many of those who would've died from their wounds, if they had not left the lands of Harlond. They battled orcs and spiders along the way, facing their fears the entire time knowing that they may never return home. Ever so, now that the war has been won and every life that could be saved was, they were merely counting down days until they were home again. In two days time they will seek rest from King Thranduil's people before continuing the remainder of their journey.

Two days later, the sun was beginning to set as Dartha's troop reached the edges of Mirkwood's forest. Twelve elves, who had been watching them approach, finally showed themselves as they leaped down from the trees. They did not draw their bows as they stood before the ban of elleth, "What are your doings in Mirkwood?" the one appearing to be in charge questioned. Dartha smiled for she had been anticipating this interrogation for a while, "Why do you not draw your bows? We could be enemy." At hearing that, the elves moved for their bows, but were not given the opportunity to draw for Dartha had spoken up again. "You did not draw because we are elleth. Fortunately for you 12, we 120 are not enemy. We seek favor at the hand of your king."

The request was made known to Thranduil and under his approval his courts were opened to the elleth troop and they filled them. They were disarmed and given plenty food and drink in which they dined on at the catering of servers given to them. They feasted as guests, but they had yet to meet their host. It was late in the day that they had arrived and it had grown much later in the night when Dartha was summoned to the throne room by King Thranduil. As she followed the guard who led her, insecurity began to enter her for she was not fit in appearance to stand before a King. The journey had left her in battle torn and stained fabrics in which she felt ashamed, but all of that embarrassment left her when she entered the throne room. Before her sat upon his throne was King Thranduil wrapped in nothing but his fiery red bed sheets, a look of sleepy annoyance hung in his eyes. He must've been sleeping at the time of their arrival in his forests.

As Dartha drew near, he sat up a bit curious, "You come from Harlond?" "I did not share that with your guards but it is true," Dartha eyed Thranduil as he pondered over her in his seat. "Speak of you matters coming here, and speak truthfully", he commanded. Dartha colorfully told of their brave journey as healers in the great war and how they only seek one night's rest in his kingdom. The king scrawled as he played everything she had said in his head and moments of silence had passed them. Finally he determined to quiz her, "Is Barathon still on the throne of Harlond?" Dartha searched the elf king's eyes for where this conversation would lead but could find no clue. She answered honestly, "Indeed he is." At that moment Thranduil stood up clutching his sheets around him,"Then you are his daughter!"

How the king could've known that was a mystery to Dartha because she shows little resemblance of her father. She was her mother's child and her mother had died while she was still an infant. She did not even recall her father doing any business with Mirkwood in all of her years of existence. Thranduil laughed at the shock on her face before gritting his teeth to tell her that he last knew her parents back when they only had 3 sons, "You look so much like your fair mother. How many sibling have you now?" For some reason Dartha felt uneasy standing before the barely covered king who was quickly becoming very interested in her, "My mother lives no more but she gave 6 sons all of which were birthed before me...Though I do not know until I return home if any have survived the war...". Mirkwood's king sat back down and crossed his legs as he looked down his nose at the maiden that stood before him, "Your father is in debt to me and you shall not be leaving my realms of your own freedom." He gave one of his guards only but a glance and he took Dartha by the shoulder and directed her out of his highness' presence as she shouted out to Thranduil, "Whatever debt my father oweth, for my freedom he can afford to pay!"