Chapter Twenty: Nothing Sweeter

King Barathon looked over his lands with a watchful eye as he stood at a high point. From his location he was able to view 100 miles in every direction, his vision expanding even to the very last trees that belonged to Harlond, and he was ready to defend even those from their enemies that surrounded them. The kingdom had just undergone an attack on their southwest side that morning. They managed to fall four wargs and injure many others that they hope would die later of their wounds. Harland's soldiers were able to withhold against the forces and keep possession of their land yet again, but they could not call the morning's event a victory---nine more elves were suffered. His sons, each accompanied by their number of elves, were divided north, south, east, and west along the kingdom's perimeter. It was the youngest son, Oneth, that Barathon did not assign as an army commander but instead sent out to find help among other Elvin lands. Weeks had gone by and Barathon was beginning to think something must have happened to him. The king's right eye picked up on a slight movement and he turned his face in the direction of East. He stared far into the distance and comprehended that something drew near. The torch holder that stood nearby noticed what he was fixed on and was about to light the eastern signal and notify the elves on guard in that area, but Barathon halted him with a raised hand. What he focused on was still miles away but he was able to distinct the gallop of horses, "Those do not have the run of wargs, but of strong war horses. My son has returned with help".

Eleyond and his elves held their encampment among the trees in the east. As the eldest of Barathon's sons, he took on the most critical side. A majority of the attacks came from the east because it opened up to a larger area of wilderness than the other sides, and because of that Eleyond feared his numbers would deplete before Oneth returns. His army had only half it's strength momentarily. They suffered three attacks in the previous week and many of his elves were still recovering. His eyes scanned a number of healer elleths that tended to the wounds of his soldiers before his eyes fell on one particular who he had seen take up a sword and fight in the last few battles. She must have known his sister. "Did you aid in the War of the Ring?" he asked her. The black haired elleth looked up from the arm she was about to re-bandage to meet his eyes, "Yes, your sister was my leader". Eleyond wasn't too surprised, "You fight just as good as she". The elleth returned her attention to the arm and poured an oil into the cut, "That's quite some flattery". Eleyond reached for the bandaging and handed it to her, "It's not flattery, I'm being honest". She received the bandaging cloth and his compliment with a light smile, "Thank you, although I hope to not need to wield a sword ever again". Eleyond was about to ask for her name when he felt the smallest of vibrations through the earth beneath them.

His mouth that had open only to close again caused the elleth to look up at him concerned. She finished tending to the injured elf to find Eleyond had walked a few paces ahead and had his eyes fixed on the horizon. Her sensory was not as strong as the prince's, so she was only left to draw for herself assumptions, "Are there wargs coming?" She had a hand on the sword at her side already. "No," he knelt to touch the earth, "Horses. At least two hundred of them". Eleyond stood back up and made eye contact with the elleth, "Reinforcement is coming". Over time the thundering of hooves became more audible and the rest of the camp realized that something was approaching as the ground quake became apparent. The elves that were physically able lined themselves up at the forest's end and awaited what was coming until they were looking across at the elves of Rivendell. Eleyond broke through the line just as his brother lowered himself from his horse. "Help has arrived!" the younger elf grinned at the direct heir to the throne. Eleyond did not return Oneth's smile, "Help has arrived late". He was looking over the numbers when suddenly his eyes fell upon their sister and Legolas who was beside her.

"This trip took you some time, did you go to any other kingdom aside from Rivendell?" Eleyond asked as he stared at Legolas. Oneth hesitated in his answer because he was never instructed to go to Mirkwood, in fact his father and Eleyond both discouraged it. It was out of desperation to bring back immediate help that he disobeyed and went to Mirkwood which was closest. "---I did pass through Mirkwood, but Thranduil offered no help to us". Legolas had been watching Eleyond stare at him for some time. Without acknowledging his sister Dartha, Eleyond pointed a finger and commanded Legolas to dismount his horse. The blonde hair prince took a breath through his nose before lowering himself unto the ground. Eleyond then addressed the issue, "What are you doing here?" Legolas wasted no time in responding, "Do you need additional fighters or not?" The two princes were now nearly touching chests as they spoke with tension between them. "Go back to your father, he wouldn't want you here", Eleyond snared. Legolas looked ready to respond but Dartha had placed herself between them just as Oneth came to stand at Eleyond's side. "Accept him! His father may not want him to be here, but our father would", the princess looked up at her eldest brother. Eleyond looked down at her before looking up to realize the attention they had drawn to themselves. Elves on both sides stared at them trying to decipher what was going on.