Chapter Eight: Attachment

At nearly 6 in the morning, Dartha laid in her bed anticipating the first light of the day. It was not that she woke up early, but rather that she was unable to sleep. She stared atop her side table unto a piece of paper scribbled with ink, the scratching made up her vows which she had formed a few hours ago. It was in her disability to fall asleep that she came to terms that she had procrastinated long enough, so she utilized her sleepless night to prepare what she would profess at the ceremony. It did not take her long to finish, because she wasn't searching for the perfect words. She wasn't looking to impress anyone, not even the elf she was about to become attached to. Once taking in a breath, the princess turned unto her side and captured a morning ray as it made it's appearance upon her window seal.  Her breathing became a bit difficult almost as if she expected  the sun to tarry on her betrothal day, but regardless she caused herself to rise in bed as more of the morning began to enter her room. She was fighting the desire to look outside, because she knew what she would see would shatter her. Ailin would not be at the ceremony. He had opted to forsake everything and everyone that destroyed his own heart. She knew that if she looked out her window now, she would catch him walking towards the forest, departing their kingdom forever.

Dartha decided to allow herself the chance to break; she sprung out of her bed and ran to the window. As she predicted, Ailin had nearly reached the forest line. He carried only but  his sword,  quiver and bow, and a small sack upon his back. Instead of continuing straight into the trees, he surprised her by turning around to take one last look at home. He knelt to the ground and pressed his hand to his lips before touching the earth below. He was saying good bye to his parents who were buried in Harlond. Dartha covered her heart as she watched him, then she was taken back in shock when he stood up and looked directly up to her. Their eyes met and held a stare long enough for Dartha to quietly say,  "I hope your elf eyes acknowledge that I'm not happy to see you go".  Ailin did not take his eyes off her window even as he back-peddled into the forest. 

If it had not been for Thranduil coming forth with sleeping pills, Legolas wouldn't have been able to even close his eyes. Though still shocked about his father's use of the substance, it was still his father he had to thank for getting sleep. The amount of sunlight that flooded the room told Legolas the time was well into the start of the day, about 8 or 9 in the morning. With his consciousness came nervousness, he would be engaged in a few hours. His muscles felt loose as he willed himself to sit up in bed, hearing the public announcement of his betrothal ceremony being made outside. When he finally climbed down from the bed, he stepped on one of the many crumpled and discarded papers he had created last night when he was re-writing his vows. He had found it incredibly difficult to write about someone he knew almost nothing about, but he was eventually able to conjure words together for the ceremony before putting himself out with the sleeping drug. Announcements of the engagement ceremony were being repeated periodically over the kingdom until it was certain the news had reached ever soul. As the princes watched the motion happening outside his window, he received a knock on the door before it swung open permitting entrance to whomever that was seeking it. Three elleth servants walked in with smiling faces and grabbed Legolas from where he stood and dragged him on his heels,  "There is much to do in preparation!"

With the servants pulling them everywhere, there were a few incident in which Dartha and Legolas almost saw each other before the ceremony but the elleth were able to diffuse any potential collisions as they utilized different rooms throughout the palaces. The Prince and Princess had their privacy taken from them as the servants bathed and dressed them accordingly, all help that Legolas and Dartha would've liked to do themselves but they were given no choice. As the time was growing nearer, the servants worked on perfecting details that went into Legolas and Dartha's appearances. Legolas's nails were being cleaned and polished and his hair was being brushed through and then plaited in style that produced a single small braid on the left of his face, otherwise his hair was left to be straight. His blonde hair shined as his silver garments complimented his stature. In another room Dartha was receiving a bit of harsher treatment as her already slim figure was being tightened in a corset, her breasts were slightly elevated and caused them to appear a little fuller in her silver gown that had a dipping neckline, and her long brown hair was being steamed into loose curls.