I'm Sorry, He's Clingy

Tony was trying to do a press conference. It shouldn't have been difficult—they usually weren't—but Peter was backstage with Happy and Tony couldn't help but keep glancing back at him. It wouldn't have normally been a problem, but Pepper was gone on a business trip and had conveniently forgotten about Tony's scheduled press conference. That meant Tony had to stick Peter with Happy who became a last-minute babysitter. Much to Happy's chagrin, he's had no other option but take Peter for an hour. Of course, Tony could take the three-year-old with him, but he did not want his son in the eyes of the press until he was at least 34, so that idea was off the table. It was the only thing Tony had to tell Happy in order to get him to agree to watch Peter.

"Mr. Stark, can you tell us about your latest project?" a report asked, drawing Tony's attention away from Peter and back to the conference. "I believe you announced plans for cleaning the bay."

From backstage, Peter happily waved one of his toys at Tony, distracting him yet again.

"Yes, the idea was inspired by those tiny little things that live in the mouth of some fish," Tony explained pathetically.

Peter laughed as Happy said something and Tony smile subconsciously at him. When he turned back to the conference, he was met with several wary and confused stares.

"Next question?" he prompted, waving them along.

"Is Miss Potts behind the stage?" a man asked, craning his head to see behind the barrier.

Tony refused the urge to glance back.

"No, she's in Miami right now," he replied only to be asked who was distracting him from backstage. "No one. Next question?"

A few reporters looked at each other in confusion and one slowly raised her hand.

"Is it true that—"

The reporter was interrupted by something colliding with Tony's leg. He stumbled, one hand reaching down to grab the tiny person and the other reaching for the podium to steady himself. Around him, the room went dead silent.

"Uncle Happy told me to shut up," Peter whispered, face buried in Tony's leg.

Tony knelt down behind the podium and Peter let him go. He sniffled and Tony glanced up at Happy who looked less than thrilled.

"Did he?" Tony asked Peter, still looking at Happy. Happy rolled his eyes.

He was being too loud, he mouthed.

Now Tony rolled his eyes. He picked Peter up and walked off stage without looking back at the reporters.

When Tony approached Happy, he repeated, "He was too loud."

"You don't tell him to shut up," Tony told him as Peter poked his chin. Tony gently pushed his hand down. "Instead, you very nicely say be quieter."

Happy mocked him and Tony gave him a look.

"Sorry," Happy grumbled.

Tony turned Peter in his arms so he was facing Happy. Peter grinned at him, but Happy just stared back, unamused.

"Don't say sorry to me," Tony informed him, "Say it to Peter."

Happy gave him a disbelieving look, but Tony didn't budge. With a sigh, he glanced at Peter and said, "I'm sorry, Peter."

Bouncing in Tony's arms, Peter leaned forward and kissed Happy's nose before he knew what was happening.

"It's okay!" he cheered before hugging Tony's neck and looking over his back at the crowd of reporters.

Before Tony could suggest Happy take Peter back so he could finish the conference, Peter announced, "Daddy, I'm hungry."

"Alright." Tony glanced at Happy. "Go start the car. I'll finish up here."

"Do you want me to take Peter?" Happy offered.

Tony glanced at Peter then shook his head. Happy didn't ask again. While Tony poked his head back around the stage, Happy hurried off to start the car.

"Conference is over," Tony announced, keeping Peter behind the barrier and out of sight. "Show yourselves out."

Without further explanation, Tony walked further backstage and outside with Peter still in his arms.

When they arrived behind the building Happy was waiting for them in the car. Together, Tony and Peter got in the backseat and Tony helped Peter fasten his seatbelt, asking him what he wanted for lunch.

"French fries!" Peter squealed, raising his hands cheerfully and nearly hitting Tony.

Tony nodded and as he buckled his own seatbelt, he told Happy to find the nearest McDonalds. They were going to have French fries for lunch.