The Press is Scary

Only one more chapter after this.

Tony wasn't sure this was a good idea. Pepper wanted to go out to eat to celebrate Peter's first day of pre-school and Peter wanted to go to an adult restaurant now that he was a big kid. Despite trying to tell them it wasn't a good idea, he helped Peter get dressed in a nice outfit then changed into a dress shirt and slacks himself. Meeting them just outside the lift, Pepper happily allowed Peter to loop his arm through hers and escort her to the car.

The ride to Olive Garden (the only "fancy restaurant Tony could think of that might have something Peter would like) wasn't very long, but Peter talked excitedly the whole time. He still hadn't finished when they parked and walked inside to their table, but Tony was more than happy to listen.

"I made a friend!" Peter said happily, sliding into the booth across from his parents. "His name is Ned and he likes Lego's too."

"Really?" Tony asked, smiling as he looked over the menu for something Peter would like. Apparently, pre-schoolers were big kids and according to Peter, big kids didn't need to kid's menu.

"Yeah! Can he come over and play after school?" Peter asked, swinging his legs under the table. "I want to show him my Lego's."

"We'll have to talk to his mommy and see what she says, but I think that's okay."

Peter beamed across the table at his dad who smiled back softly.

Arriving back at their table, the waitress asked, "Would you like anything to drink besides water?"

Tony glanced beside him at Pepper who shook her head. They were not drinking with Peter around.

"Can I have an apple juice, please?" Peter asked, looking at her excitedly.

The waitress glanced at Peter and smiled. "Of course."

He grinned and turned back to his parents to ask for something to colour with. By the time Pepper had found a clean napkin and some pens for Peter to draw with, the waitress returned with Peter's apple juice.

Peter pushed aside his drawing and scooted forward to drink his juice as he thanked her.

"You're welcome, dear. Are you all ready to order?"

At a nod from Tony, the waitress pulled out her notebook and took down their orders. Pepper gave her order first then Tony gave his. When it was his turn, Peter patted his dad's arm worriedly and Tony stopped before giving the waitress Peter's order.

"I don't know what I want, Daddy," he whispered. Tony turned and whispered in Peter's ear then let Peter turn back to the waitress. "I would like a Freddy-Cheney Alfredo."

The waitress smiled. "One fettuccini Alfredo coming up."

Peter, satisfied that he had ordered his own meal, went back to drawing on his napkin while his parents talked quietly to each other and the waitress left to get their order ready.

* * * * *

At the end of the night, Peter happily slid out of the booth, carrying the napkins with all his drawings. He very carefully handed them to his mother, so Pepper put them in her handbag before grabbing Peter's hand. On her other side, Tony grabbed Pepper's free hand and the three walked out of the restaurant.

They stopped short when they saw people with cameras standing outside. Pepper glanced up at Tony worriedly, but he was looking at Peter. Still bouncing across the tiles, Peter hadn't seemed to notice their problem. When he noticed his parents had stopped though, he stopped too.

"What's wrong?" he asked, tugging on Pepper's hand.

"Hey, buddy," Tony said, pulling Peter over to the side of the doors. "See those people out there?"

Peter looked then nodded before turning back to his dad.

"They want to talk to me and Mama, but they're also gonna be mean and yell things."

Peter's eyes widened and Tony rushed to calm him down, running a hand over his curls.

"It'll be okay, kiddo. Mama's going to carry you through, so just keep your head down, okay?"

"Okay," Peter said softly, giving the people outside a nervous look.

Tony kissed his forehead and Pepper picked him up.

"There's no reason to be scared, alright?" Tony asked, pressing another kiss to his head.

Peter nodded and buried his face in Pepper's hair, effectively hiding his face. When Pepper grabbed Tony's hand, he gently squeezed it before stepping outside.

Immediately, the night air lit up in bright flashes. Pepper flinched when a camera got especially close to her face and Tony pushed it away. He guided her and Peter through the mob of people, ignoring all the questions and carefully getting them away. The further they walked, the more paparazzi seemed to appear. Growing more and more irritated, Tony was already on his last nerve when he felt Pepper's hand ripped from his.

"Pepper!"

He spun around to find her a few steps back with one hand holding Peter up and the other keeping his head down.

Pepper reached out for him and Tony grabbed her hand, shoving people out of his way and he took Pepper and Peter back to the car.

Pepper climbed in the back seat with Peter and as soon as the last door was closed, Tony sped off towards the Tower.

In the backseat, Peter was crying and clinging to Pepper. She hummed softly in his ear, rubbing his back and kissing his face gently.

"You're okay, baby," she said quietly.

Peter's body shook as he cried and Pepper held him tightly.

Tony made it to the Tower in record time and helped Pepper out of the back. Gently, he took Peter from her and Peter immediately wrapped his arms around Tony's neck, continuing to cry.

"Hey, buddy," Tony said softly.

He kissed the side of Peter's head and Peter pulled back. Sniffling, he wiped his nose with the sleeve of his shirt. Tony didn't even try to remind him it was a nice shirt and not the get it dirty.

Peter sniffled again. "Daddy, they were scary."

Tony nodded and kissed his forehead. "I know, kiddo."

He walked Peter into his bedroom and set him on his Iron Man bedspread.

"Can I sleep with you and Mama tonight?" Peter whispered, reaching back up for Tony.

Tony nodded and walked over to Peter's dresser to pull out Peter's favourite pair of pyjamas and help him change.

Once Peter was dressed and comfortable, Tony picked him back up and headed towards his and Pepper's room. "Alright, let's go find Mama."