Prologue

And now the Duchess of Ferrara was buried in the ground, never to walk amongst the again.

 The one to stay the longest after the burial was Lucrezia, younger sister of the dead woman's husband. Lucrezia could have loved the dead more of she were her own sister. She had never had a sister, and had never really known her parents. Her brother and his wife were like parents and siblings to her. Now that one was gone, it felt as if half of her world had died with her. 

 What angered her the most was that her brother didn't seem as upset as she was. But she forgave him because he had to make public appearances. He was the duke, and to show such emotions in public would most likely be frowned upon. It seemed that because Lucrezia was a woman, she was expected to cry, so she did, and let her tears be gone.

~~~~~~

 When Lucrezia was let into her brother's room, he was sitting at his desk, looking very somber.

 "Well, now, sister," he said, "What brings you here so late?"

 "My brother," she went to him and took his hands, "What shall we do without Francesca? I feel lost without her presence here with us. She was so beautiful and filled with life and happiness, and now she is cold in the ground."

 "Oh, my dear." Her brother took her into his arms and held her gently. "Now, my dear Lucrezia, let us only remember Francesca as she was in life, not in death. She would only want to be remembered for how she was in life."

 "Yes, brother. If I may ask..."

 He looked down at her. "Yes?"

 "Will you ever marry again?"

 "That is a very serious matter, my dear. Not very soon, but perhaps one day. Go to your own room now, sister, and be brave. Our lives must go on."

 Lucrezia nodded and mumbled a goodnight, and then went to her own bedchamber, her heart heavy with sorrow and fear.