Chapter Three

Rebekah Mikaelson was intrigued by Vittorio Caito. He was so polite and charming at the party that while she danced with him she completely ignored Klaus' dark looks. True, she knew, that if she fell in love with the duke, he would no doubt be her brother's next victim. However, she always liked to hold onto hope, and though she had only just met the duke, she already had hopes.

 The Mikaelsons really had traveled a long way form the last home. They finally stopped in Ferrara, thinking that perhaps this would be the place. Of course, that was what they thought about every other home they had been run out of, but perhaps they all liked to hold onto hope.

 Rebekah slept well that night, and in the morning she and her brothers went down to the dining room to find the duke and his sister had not yet risen, so Klaus compelled the servants to serve them a good breakfast. 

 "Well, what do you think this place, everyone?" Klaus asked when they all had meals in front of them.

 "I think it's beautiful," Rebekah replied. "This is a wonderful spot in the world to make our own home."

 "You say that because you have an eye for the duke," Kol said to her teasingly, and she slapped his arm playfully. "But I suppose it isn't very bad. The duke's sister is certainly a beauty to behold." 

 Klaus turned to Elijah. "You are the oldest of us four. What do you say?"

 "I like it," Elijah said thoughtfully. "It is beautiful, as Rebekah has said. Perhaps if we were to attempt to make our own home here, we could do it."

 Klaus nodded. "It seems we are all in agreement. Yes, let us make a home here. But for the time being, let us stay with this kind duke, shall we?"

 "I would not object to staying here longer," said Elijah, "But I doubt the duke would agree with us. He did not seem fond of us for waking in without any invitation."

 "Well, no matter. Let me worry about the duke, everyone," said Klaus. "Enjoy yourselves and be happy."

 They all grew silent and turned towards the door when the Duke of Ferrara entered.

 "I apologize for arising so late," he said in a mild tone. "But I see you have been served already. That is good."

 "Well, join us, please, good host," Klaus returned with a smile. "It is your hospitality that allows us to have such a good breakfast."

 Vittorio nodded and sat at the head of the table. So, he was vulnerable to flattery, Rebekah thought. That could certainly work in their favor.

 "I must say, sir, you have a beautiful home," Klaus began. "We are fortunate to have come here."

 Vittorio nodded again. "Thank you. Will you be staying in Ferrara?"

 "Yes, we shall. We certainly hope to make homes of our own here. In fact," Klaus leaned closer, "While we make those plans, I suggest you allow us to stay here with you, as your guests."

 The duke smiled. "Of course. Well, finish your meal, my friends, and find joy in this new friendship of ours."

 Klaus smiled back at him. "Of course, good sir."

 He turned to his siblings and nodded, and they all nodded back. The duke had been compelled, and they wouldn't have to worry about him throwing them out.

 The doors opened again, and Lucrezia walked in.

 "Good morning," she said in soft voice. She sounded a little nervous, and walked slowly over to her place, which was next to where Rebekah sat.

 "Sister, dear, I have good news," said the duke. "These guests of ours will be staying with us for some time."

 Lucrezia raised her eyebrows slightly.

 "With us?" she repeated.

 "Yes, my dear. They mean to make homes for themselves here in Ferrara, and we welcome anyone who wishes to do so."

 Lucrezia nodded. "Of course we must." She turned her head to look at the siblings. "If my brother believes it so, I shall say you are very welcome here."

 "Thank you, madam," Elijah said, "On behalf of us all. We are honored by the kindness you and your noble brother have shown us."

 Lucrezia gave a small smile. How kind he was, she thought. What it would be like to have such a warm and truly kind brother like him!

 She did her best to ignore the fact the woman she was fascinated with was sitting right next to her, but still stole a few glances at the woman sitting on her right. She was truly beautiful, but she seemed only interested in Vittorio, and not so in Lucrezia, which made her feel jealousy towards her brother. Vittorio had the title, he had had Francesca, and now he had Rebekah's full attention.

 If only her brother weren't so charming and compelling.