Chapter Nine

To say the least, Rebekah was upset. At worst, she wanted to tear the duke limb from limb for this. How could he? How could he continue to make all of these promises to her while he was planning to marry another woman, even though he told her he wasn't? She really hadn't thought he was that kind of man, but perhaps he was. What if her brothers and Lucrezia were all right about the duke? What if this was a terrible idea after all?

 Mostly, she couldn't believe what was happening. Whenever she had a man, she had them. No man ever looked at another woman with any desire while he was in the clutches of Rebekah Mikaelson. What sort of man was Vittorio Caito, Duke of Ferrara? Certainly one Rebekah had never been entwined with before.

 She didn't go to his bedchamber that night. She didn't want to speak with him, or even look at him. She was going to confront him, she really was. But then she spoke with Elijah before going to bed.

 "I really thought he loved me," she said to him. "But I heard him. He's making plans for his second marriage to a woman who is not me."

 "Oh, Rebekah." Elijah pulled her into his arms. "I am sorry this has happened to you. If you truly love him, then it is wrong of him to deceive you the way he is. If you wish, we can leave. We can find a home somewhere else."

 "No." Rebekah shook her head. "I want to stay. We have already traveled so far for so long. We are finally out of Father's grasp, and we should enjoy our freedom. We can't let one scoundrel like the duke ruin all that for us, can we?"

 Elijah smiled. "That is very mature thinking, Rebekah. You usually have a much worse temper than this. Confront him if you wish, but perhaps he is not worth your time after all."

 Rebekah nodded. "Yes. I think I will confront him. But first I will sleep and gather my thoughts, because I know that's what you would advise."

 "I believe that is what I would advise. Goodnight, Rebekah."

 She kissed his cheek. "Goodnight, brother."

 It took time for Rebekah to actually fall asleep, and when she did it wasn't for very long, but she saw the face of the duke in her dreams, and that troubled her.

~~~~~~

 Rebekah let herself into Vittorio's rooms the next morning. He was awake and at his desk, writing away. But he stopped and looked up at her when she came in.

 "Ah, Rebekah!" he said with a grin. "I missed you last night. It seems that the nights are no longer the same without you by my side."

 "Good morning, Your Grace," she said in a formal tone. "I am sorry to have been so sorely missed, though I doubt it will make as much a difference soon, as it seems you are planning to marry another woman."

 His smile faltered. "I beg your pardon?"

 "You have been deceiving me, Vittorio," Rebekah said coldly. "I heard you with your visitor yesterday. You mean to marry a woman with wealth and land who can give you heirs, and I suppose I am nothing more than another mistress to you."

 "But, Rebekah," he got up from his chair, "I believe you misunderstand me."

 "No, I most certainly do not misunderstand you. You told me you wanted me, not another woman. You told me that one day, I could be your Duchess. I suppose that was all lies, as you seem to be quite skilled in lying."

 He reached out to take her hand. "My love, my marrying another does not mean I do not love you."

 Rebekah slapped his hand away. "How dare you? That is what it means to me!"

 Vittorio's face grew cold. "You are very righteous, yes? How high you hold yourself! Did you really think I was going to marry a whore like you, one who would give herself so freely as you do? I do not even know where you come from, what family you are from. You are a stranger here, and I cannot marry someone like that. Now, I am afraid I must go out today. Perhaps it is best we do not see each other when I return."

 He stormed out of the room, leaving Rebekah alone.