02 | Donut Shop Disaster

╔══════════════════╗

ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING
ii. DONUT SHOP DISASTER

╚══════════════════╝

  IT IS COMPLETELY NORMAL for humans to be constantly thinking

  IT IS COMPLETELY NORMAL for humans to be constantly thinking. Whether it's about what's for dinner or what they got on a big test, humans can't help always thinking. Even when they don't realize it, their brains are always in motion, never stopping until death. For the majority of humans, there's always something that's always on their mind, no matter what the circumstances are. When you look at someone across the room from you, what do you think they're thinking about? Chances are, they're thinking the same way about you.

   For Riley, she couldn't stop thinking about this ridiculous mission Tony shoved into her lap. Of all the things she'd done, of all the things she'd been forced into, this was easily the most ridiculous, not to mention offensive. Part of her couldn't believe he dared to adopt her for such a stupid reason, but another, more rational part of her could.

   It was that same rational part of her brain that made her stomach turn with nerves. There was no reason for her to be nervous. She'd fought HYDRA before, and that was ten times more dangerous than this could ever be. She was a perfectionist when it came to her craft, and while this one didn't feel much of one, it was still a mission. It was detrimental that she succeeded. Whatever it took.

   Despite having graduated at a high school level at 10-years-old, courtesy of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s training, she'd never been to a real school before. As she headed for the bus stop that would drag her to Midtown High, she wondered how much of it would be like the movies.

   Slung over one of her shoulders was a backpack, her phone pressed up against her ear as she listened to Tony Stark babble. "I can't believe I'm sending my baby to school for the first time! I'm so ecstatic to finally get rid of you!" Tony humorously chirped, causing Riley to audibly scoff.

   "I'm only doing this because you gave me a new suit and you're forcing me against my will," Riley unhappily grumbled, just barely louder than the hustle and bustle of Midtown, New York. She nearly cursed rather loudly when someone carelessly bumped into her, spitting just a bit of his coffee on her in the process. Spinning around, she shouted, "Watch where you're going!"

   The dark-skinned man glanced back at her, thrusting his middle finger into the sky. Riley sneered at him before returning to her conversation. "I could be doing so many things instead of this, you know," she pointed out. "For example, real missions. How'd you even get Ross to clear this?"

   "Aw, come on, Tink," Tony encouraged, almost belittlingly. "Maybe you'll like going to school instead of going on cool missions." A pause. "No, even I wouldn't enjoy that. Huh, how did I manage to pull this off?"