15 | Model Student

╔══════════════════╗

ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING
xv. MODEL STUDENT

╚══════════════════╝

  RILEY HAD TO ADMIT: she was just a little surprised when she was called into the principal's office

  RILEY HAD TO ADMIT: she was just a little surprised when she was called into the principal's office. If anything, Warren deserved to get hit! At work, people got hit all the time! Why was it such a big deal? Then again, she did almost knock him unconscious.

   She sat in Principal Morita's office with one leg crossed over another, arms folded. Eyebrows scrunched together, Riley's mind had still been racing. She didn't let it show, though, especially with Principal Morita's eyes locked on her.

   "I... don't understand," he finally admitted. He leaned back in his office chair, it squeaking slightly due to its age. "I've heard nothing but good things about you, Ms. O'Dair. Your grades and extracurriculars are evidence that you've been a model student. What caused this change?"

   "Well, Warren is kind of a jerk," Riley said, shrugging. "He's done nothing but bully and harass practically anything that breathes. If anything, I'm shocked it's taken this long for someone to punch him."

   Nodding slowly, Principal Morita said, "I suppose I can... empathize, but fighting is not the equivalent to a heroic sacrifice or act, Ms. O'Dair." Riley nearly laughed out loud at his statement. "I'm afraid I have no choice but to give you detention. Your legal guardian will be here any moment to further discuss with me your behavior and how we can fix it."

   Her eyes widened. No... Her legal guardian? As in... Tony? No, no, no. If Tony was actually coming to Midtown, then she was going to have to tell him everything. He'd undoubtedly ask for updates. She was doomed!

   Riley blurted, "Wait, what!? My behavior? Principal Morita, you said it yourself that I've been a model student!"

   "Well," a new voice chimed in, almost on cue, "model students don't just smack down their peers." Riley tensed upon hearing his voice. Slowly, she turned around to face Tony Stark as he flashed a smile at the girl. "Isn't that right, Muhammad?"

   Principal Morita rose to his feet to greet Tony, but rather than shaking his hand or anything similar to the sort, Tony said, "Actually, Principal M, can I have a moment with my daughter?"

   He just nodded and mumbled a few incoherent words before exiting his own office. It was fascinating how Tony was able to enter a room, say a few words, and captivate every single audience member in the general proximity. Riley had always wondered how he did it.

   "So..." awkwardly trailed off Riley as Tony sat down beside her. She gently punched his shoulder almost in a playful, please-don't-be-mad-at-me manner. "How was the traffic?"