10 | Hannah Montana

╔══════════════════╗

ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING
x. HANNAH MONTANA

╚══════════════════╝

  RILEY O'DAIR DIDN'T WANT to admit it, but she was a bit of a modern-day Hannah Montana

  RILEY O'DAIR DIDN'T WANT to admit it, but she was a bit of a modern-day Hannah Montana. She wasn't too sure as to how her brain had reached that conclusion, but now it was all she could be bothered to think about one Tuesday morning.

   As per usual, Riley had been patrolling throughout New York, doing her rounds near Midtown High before school commenced for the day. It was early in the morning, but she didn't mind. Riley had always been a morning person ever since S.H.I.E.L.D. took her in. From a young age, Riley would wake up at the ass-crack of dawn to deal with whatever the government had in store for her, usually something traumatic, that day.

   Besides, Riley didn't sleep much anyway. Her nightmares often kept her up at night.

   Incidents of criminal activity had significantly decreased ever since Valor started popping up again. After the incident with the Sokovia Accords, she had taken a little break from her Avengers life to relax. There was no need for the Avengers unless the government called for it, so she used that to her advantage. However, now that Valor was back, it seemed that crime had noticeably halted.

   Oddly enough, that was the downfall of being a hero, in Riley's opinion. You know, amongst the trauma, deaths, and ugly injuries. At some point, crimes stop, wars end, and the world is at peace with itself. Riley wondered if there would come a day where the world was so balanced with itself that there wouldn't be a need for the Avengers anymore.

   If that day ever came, that meant she would have to retire and live a normal life... whatever that was supposed to mean. After all, her definition of "normal" wasn't exactly normal to other people. Maybe that was why deep down, she always wished for some chaos to ensue.

   Nothing bad, of course! Just something to give her something to do, to remind herself that she could save the day and that everything would be okay. She didn't want people to die or something—just a little something-something!

   ...Was that morbid of her?

   Riley would think this every once in a while, but whenever something bad happened, she always found herself reminiscing on the moments of calm before the storm. As the saying goes: Be careful what you wish for.

   When things weren't busy, Valor found herself switching gears and becoming simple Riley O'Dair again. See, Riley and Valor were technically the same people; however, now that Riley had gotten a taste of being a normal girl, she felt different. She was a little more relaxed, less alert in contrast to her famous counterpart. And so, that was how she came to the conclusion that she was a modern-day Hannah Montana.