From the Top

A/N: Please read the author's note at the end!!

Spring 2023

I walked up to the bar where she was sitting, as instructed, appearing every bit as heartbreaking as I remembered.

Tight black dress, black heels, hair spilling toward the bottom of her spine. Perched perfectly on a velvet bar stool. I knew my lines, just like she knew hers. Both of us had years of rehearsals under our belts.

Boldly, I didn't stop until I was right next to her. Leaning up against the bar, I could smell the gin in her glass. She turned and pretended to be surprised to see me standing there.

"Hello," I began. Her wide eyes held mine and she discreetly angled her body toward me. Smart move. The photographer my agent had planted walked in behind me. From where he stood across the room, our positioning would look intimate. "I'm Harry Styles." I stuck my hand out for her to shake, and she grabbed it delicately, eyes shining. "I don't think we've met before."

Lies. All of it was a lie, but looking at her made me think that this was a deception well worth it.

White teeth sparkled behind painted lips. Despite myself, I let her smile be an excuse for my eyes to linger on her mouth.

"Francesca Westbrook," she greeted, shaking my hand in hers. When her hand left mine, I shifted it to rest on the back of her chair. Physical, I reminded myself. They wanted sparks to fly. I wasn't comfortable touching her immediately, and I knew she wouldn't be either. This would have to be good enough for both our teams.

"How does it feel to be the most beautiful woman in the room?"

I wanted to vomit. What a fucking line. But they fed it to me, and I was forced to eat it. There is remarkable jurisdiction in autonomy.

"Shouldn't you be asking to buy me a drink?"

I hesitated. This was off-script. If her reputation were to be believed, Francesca Westbrook was not one to follow orders. I shouldn't have been surprised.