~A Last Wish~

Aphmau's POV

*Play Song*

"Read it to me again, dear."

I purse my lips for a moment of hesitation, but I do as I am told.

"Mission report of the 101st Battalion, 1995. Led by General Zack Phoenix. Objective: Retrieve the Irene Relic from the Lady's Dimension. Concluded as a failure. Loss of life: 364." As the numbers leave my lips, I crumple the file just a bit more than I know I'm allowed.

I hear him sigh, followed by a series of weak coughs. "Your mother never got over that."

"My mother abandoned me. There is no excuse for that." I retort a bit too harshly towards my grandfather.

I was in his master bedroom, his frail body propped up against the aged wooden bedframe. Antique frames were resting on the crooked bridge of his nose. And despite his fragile state, his hazel eyes pierced mine, his expression now mirroring mine.

My grandfather...Well, he was considered royalty in our vault. So, therefore, so was I. He was one of the founding fathers of the whole idea of a large, public nuclear vault. So, therefore, I have big expectations to meet.

Which are pretty fucking high.

I was sitting adjacent to him, with my feet surprisingly planted on the carpeted floor. I had a tiny tier of manila folders on my lap and some strewn haphazardly across the king-sized mattress.

My grandfather does not encourage my hostility, plucking a file from his right, opening it with his usual shaky attitude.

Instant masked hurt darkens his face as he reads the file's content. I peer over the folder's structure to see what could've been a mirror.

My grandfather skims the photo with wrinkled fingertips. He sighs.

"Oh, mija." He says quietly.

Clearly not to me.

I didn't even need the file to know what was making my grandfather so sad.

"Death Certificate: Sylvana Maria Phoenix. Cause of death: ...heartbreak." I exhale, fidgeting with my fingertips because even though it was a decade ago and she wasn't the mom I needed her to be...she was still my mother.

My grandfather is my last surviving family. He raised me and the vault back to prime status after the loss of the 101st, the alliance, and my father.

"You remember my request, nieta?"

"Yes, abuelo. Giant Sequoia."

"Well, then, alert Teony...I am ready."

*

To put it simply, my grandfather is an actual genius. He could most definitely rival Einstein and Bill Gates with his smarts and most probably win, while I'm a total different story.

And now he's leaving me, alone and unprepared.

"Why me?" I cry even though I subconsciously knew.

"It's in your blood. It's the law."

"Screw the law."

"You know what you have to do...when the time is right."

Yeah, right, and my pet unicorn needs a surplus of goblins to feast on.

That sentence may not make sense, but that's the point. None of this makes sense.

But I knew this day would come. I've made as much peace with my life's projected trajectory as I have deemed possible.

I, accompanied by Katelyn, a powder-blue haired pale beaut who had a good 6 inches on me, and Teony, a chocolate-skinned doctor who led our medical and science departments, push my grandfather's gurney.

My hand grasping his as we went.

No crying. Not yet.

No weakness in public, wait till you get back.

The last thing I need is a mutiny, I'm already being doubted.

Luckily it was quiet today...because today is Death Day in the vault, a time to mourn one's passed loved one.

This day was picked by my grandfather because this is the day he lost my grandmother to a raider attack.

After going down a stone carved hallway for what seemed like an eternity, we reach a door labeled with a keypad and an "authorized personnel only" sign.

My grandfather gulps then musters the strength to say his name loudly. "Albert Ethan Phoenix."

The keypad analyzes his voice, beeping green in success. The door swings open for us as we push my grandfather inside, and that's when it started to finally feel real.

"Alright, let's kill me."

*

Men strap Albert onto the metal panel while Teony and another doctor prepare the serum.

After it's done, my grandfather will go through a machine that will turn his body to plant food, which will be proceeded to help grow this Giant Sequoia in the Plant Room.

Which was dedicated in memory of my mother, and grandmother, whose name was Sequoia.

My fingers still laced in his, my grandfather gestures me to come closer.

I do as I am told, edging closer as he whispers to me. "Take the offer." Before I can object, he brushes me off. "Oh, Nieta. You will do wonderful things for the Vault, but you know just as much as me that we need to reinstate the alliance." He grunts. "You know this is right. This is your duty. And if...if you do things right, he won't hurt you."

In the past, I have argued with him on this topic, but now, I do not have the will to. Not on his death bed.

So, I say. "Okay, Abuelo. I love you."

"I love you nieta. You will make an amazing leader...and mother."

And with that, he went still, the serum dispersed.

Distantly, I hear Teony's voice. I hear her say to let go of his hand so he can go into the machine, but I don't.

I do not do as I am told.

I commend you if you read this far.

I understand it isn't the typical start to an aarmau au but don't worry Aarmau is coming, lots of it, it just has some story behind it.

And this doesn't follow Fallout 4's structure, more just the general idea.

Have a nice day my crystals!