Stop The World (Demi's POV)

I loved seeing Aby getting along with everyone in the family. I know they’re all here supporting us and her. It’s tough with her condition, and that she needs leg braces and such to help support her. It’s a struggle, but Nick and I are ready for this. We even have great news for her too, when we get home. We had gotten word that morning that her friends from the adoption center had gotten adopted by people in our community. Which, we are thankful for, since we do see them on occasion. Aby is going to be so happy.

Later that day, when we were all home and cozy, we got ready to tell her the great news.

“Hey, Aby,” Nick said, sitting her on our kitchen counter. “remember your three friends from the adoption center?”

“Yes,” she replied, with a small nod.

“Well, they got adopted,” I started, her face dropped a little. “Don’t worry sweetie, they got adopted by really nice people, that daddy and I actually see on occasion. So, you’ll be able to still hang out with them and play with them.” she was squealing with joy. We knew that this would make her extremely happy. “Now, let’s daddy continue making dinner.” I told her, as I picked her up from the counter and brought her in to the living room.

“Mommy, my legs hurt,” she pouted.

“It’s okay, sweetie. Just rest them, they’ll be fine,” I reassured her, and kissed the top of her head. “I know you won’t have to deal with this forever baby girl. Just think about all the good times you’ll have when you’re older, and not have to worry if your legs will act up.” I kissed her forehead this time.

“Okay, mommy,” 

After dinner, the three of us were on the couch, cuddling, watching movies, and talking. Today was so perfect. I couldn’t ask for a better little family than the one I had now.

The next day, Aby had a playdate with her friends that she made in the adoption center. It was so cute watching them play together. It’s like they were best friends since the day they were born. Shon’tavia also has Cerebral Palsy, but a different form than Aby. Her parents couldn’t handle her with it, and they could’t afford her in general. It sucks, knowing that they have to go throw all of these things, and there’s no cure for it. Hopefully it’ll fade as they got older. I hate seeing my new baby girl like this, and to even think one of her friends has to go through something similar.

I found Nick in the kitchen, still making sure I had visual on the girls. “What are you doing in here, babe?” I asked. “I wanted to see if Frankie and Maddie wanted to come over and play with Aby and the girls,” he said. I only nodded, still looking at them. “I mean, Aby loves them and I’m sure her friends would love them too.” he explained. “I mean, who couldn’t love Maddie and Frankie?” I joked. “So, are they coming?” I asked, after a few moments of silence. “They are, I’m going to be picking them up soon,” I nodded at his response.

Frankie’s POV

When Nick picked me up, Maddie was already in the car. “Hey, Mad!” I said. “Hi, Frankie,” she giggled. To be honest with you, I’ve had a little crush on her. Yes, she may be a year younger than me, and our siblings are married, I can’t help but not think she’s cute, funny, smart, everything. I was pretty excited to be hanging out with Aby and her friends today, especially since Maddie is also going to be there, too. “It’s been quite a while,” I finally said. “It has,” she responded. “And I think that’s the reason why Nick came to get us.” she joked. “Maybe, maybe not, kids. But I know for sure that Aby adores the both of you, and I know her friends will too,” Nick explained, letting out a small chuckle. The rest of the way back to his house, I caught up with Maddie. Man, she lost a lot of weight since I last saw her, and she’s even more pretty than I remember.

When we got to Nick’s house, Aby was very excited to see us both. She came up to us and hugged us. “Hi Uncle Frankie, hi Aunt Maddie!” she was beaming. “What are you guys doing here?” “To play with you,” Maddie responded. She squealed. “Guys, this is my Aunt Maddie and Uncle Frankie,” she said to her friends. “This is Leslie, Shon’tavia, and Ashley.” she said, as she pointed to each one. We said our hellos to them, and Demi. After that, we started to play with Aby and her friends.

Demi’s POV

I could stop the world, if I could. This moment was so perfect. Aby and her friends playing with Nick, Maddie, and Frankie. I had gotten out my phone to capture this moment. After a while, I had joined them. We finally ate lunch, after we played together for about an hour. It was already 1:30 in the afternoon, and the kids, even Maddie and Frankie, were getting hungry. We had ordered a pizza.

“After lunch, do you guys want to go to the park?” I asked. Everyone was excited to go and have fun at the park. I wanted to help Aby and Shon’tavia to have a close-to-normal life with their conditions. I didn’t want to make them feel left out or anything. I may not be Shon’tavia’s adoptive mother, but I still care for her, and all of Aby’s other friends, like my own. It's amazing how they all had clicked while in the adoption center, and even more amazing that they still can be friends and grow up with each other. They all need that in this town, especially Aby and Shon'tavia. Some kids aren't always as nice as we think them out to be, I would know. I hope Aby and Shon'tavia get picked on when they start do. Even if I do, I know Leslie and Ashley will help them and support them. Along with any other friends they make in school.