The Best Day Ever (Aby's POV)

I loved hanging out with my friends, my aunt and uncle, and my new parents. I even found out that Leslie was adopted by a neighbor, named Caroline. Ashley was adopted by Ms. Day, a second grade teacher at the elementary school. Shon’tavia was adopted by a family who’s father is a pilot, named the Diamonds. It was nice that all three of them lived close by and that mommy and daddy knew them too. I was be so upset if they got adopted by anyone else.

By dinner time, my friends went home, but my Aunt Maddie and Uncle Frankie had stayed for dinner. I was happy that they were staying, at least, so I would have at lease someone to play with when dinner was being made. My legs did start to act up before dinner, though, but I’m happy that it wasn’t as bad as the other ones. Aunt Maddie said that I could be a scholar one day, because I’m so smart. That’s a plus to my condition, which I am happy for.

After dinner, the five of us decided to watch The Princess Diaries. I’ve been wanting to see it, and since mommy and daddy had it, they wanted to show me the two movies that were in the series. I was so excited to see them. I was happy that I could spend this moment with my aunt and uncle. I do wish I can see my other aunts and uncles soon, even my little cousin.

The following day was just as amazing as yesterday. Mommy had cooked an amazing breakfast, when daddy was watching my favorite shows with me. They had another amazing day with me. After breakfast, and after mommy and daddy got me ready for the day, they took me out of state for a ‘mini vacation’. They had said they wanted to me to live a normal life, as best I could, because of my disability. I was so grateful for them and what they’re doing for me. It was nice being in a different state for a day, and I’m hoping that they’ll take me to other places when I grow older, and hopefully my condition goes away.

While we were out of state, we had gone site seeing, and ate lunch at an amazing restaurant. It really was an adventure, and I hope there will be so many more after this.

Nick’s POV

Today, we took Aby out of state to go site seeing and eat an amazing lunch. Both, Demi and I, had wanted to go and do something fun once we had a family, and now we could. We’re so grateful to have Aby and hoped to finally have our own one day, if it may so be. It was amazing seeing Aby so into everything we saw that day. Even driving, she was so interested in what we were passing. She had such a love for knowledge, and she was smart herself, too. We knew she’d do well in school, and what the rest of her life would give her. We were confident in her, more than she would ever know.

When we got back home, it was almost midnight. We were all exhausted. We had a fun filled day, so it was worth it.

I had carried Aby inside, and got her ready for bed. As I laid her down, I heard her mumble something.

“What did you say, sweetheart?”

“Can you and mommy cuddle with me tonight?”

“Of course, I’ll bring you into our room,” I said, as I picked her up to carry her into our room.

The day after that, we had gotten word that Ashley was diagnosed with an illness. We didn’t find out anymore information, since her adoptive mother, and Ashely herself, didn’t feel comfortable enough to talk about it. I know one day we’ll find out what exactly is wrong with her. I just hope Aby takes it well. She really loves her friends, so I know it would be really devastating to her knowing what happened to Ashley. I honestly don’t know how she’s going to take this. I’m hoping she will take it well. I can’t imagine her having a broken heart.

When I saw Aby come down with Demi, after she got cleaned up after breakfast, I knew I had to tell her. I already told Demi about it when we got the call, but it was when Aby was still asleep. She looked so peaceful sleeping, and it broke my heart thinking about her reaction.

“There are my girls!” I said, as I saw them. Aby giggled and smiled. “But, your mother and I have to tell you something about your friend, Ashley.” I let out a sigh, and got to her level.

“What is it daddy?” how would I do this? How can I do this? Aby meant so much to me, and Ashley is one of her closest friends.

“This morning, her mommy had called, to tell us that she has some sort of illness,” it broke my heart seeing her on the verge of tears. “She’s fine, but neither of them want to talk about it right now, but I know for sure that we’ll find out more in the future. I promise you that, baby girl.” I pulled her into a tight hug, letting her know that it was okay.

Later that day, we had went over to Ashley’s to talk with her parents. Ashley was confined to a wheelchair, and it broke Aby’s heart so much more seeing her friend like that.

“Ashley, are you okay?” I heard Aby ask her.

“I’m fine. It’s just something wrong with my back,” both of their faces were sad, and it was heart breaking. “I can’t believe this happened, though. But I guess everything happens for a reason. I have been having some back problems before I even got adopted, but it got worse last night.” Ashely was also smart, well, all of Aby’s friends were smart, but I still couldn’t believe how smart they were. Then again, Ashley is only a year older than the rest of them, but it still surprises me how smart they really are. I’m happy that Ashley has a friend like Aby, and that Aby has a friend like Ashley. It’s nice seeing them together and how they play together. It blew my mind how gentle and caring Aby is now towards her. Especially now. I know for a fact all of them are going to grow up as amazing woman.

Not that long after, Leslie and Shon’tavia showed up with their families. I loved watching the girls play with such care with Ashley, and each other. I took a glance at Demi, and the other parents, and by the look on their faces, I knew that they were thinking the same thing as me.

Aby’s POV

I was devastated finding out about Ashley, but I now had a better understanding of what her condition was like. I knew she was different than me, and the others, but watching her be so positive about being in a wheel chair, it put me in awe. She was such an amazing, strong girl, and this proves it even more. I know for a fact that Leslie and Shon’tavia are also strong girls. Mommy has even told me I was strong, too. I believe her.

“Ashley, doesn’t it feel weird to be in a wheel chair now?” Leslie asked.

“I mean, it’s different,” she started. “But, it’s a learning experience.”

I hope she can get better, I hope she doesn’t always have to be in a wheel chair. Either way, we’re still going to find fun. Young or old, the four of us will always be fun, and we’ll find ways to have fun.