Chapter Five

Yami stayed in the hospital with me despite being yelled at by several doctors and nurses that visiting hours were over. Whenever any medical personnel came in he'd conceal himself in a shadow and return after they'd leave. I was grateful for his company as I wasn't particularly a fan of hospitals. The teacher I'd tried to help came to see me the morning he was released. He looked like a mummy wrapped head to toe in bandages. I wasn't sure he was supposed to be standing and contemplated hitting my call button thinking he was fleeing the hospital without being released. Though he was kind of eerie, he seemed like a good person. He scolded me for getting involved and lectured me on my inability to do anything before thanking me for saving him.

               The doctors finally released me on Sunday morning. All the bruises from Blaine and his friends were starting to heal and instead of a necrotic black and purple color they were now a dark brown with faint purple and blue centers the edges a more yellow color indicating they were healing.  My lip was healed and there was only a faint amount of bruising on my face. They told me to take it easy so I wouldn't disturb my healing ribs and my arm was still stuck in a hard cast, and unfortunately the metal fixtures affixed to it were staying on.

               We stopped by the police station to pick up my gear, they'd been too busy with the investigation to bring it back by the hospital. After getting my gear and all the original film of the pictures I'd taken, we headed to the grocery store before returning to my apartment. Stacey and the editor from the paper I took pictures for had stopped by during visitor hours, Stacey was a wreck she was so upset that I had gotten hurt.

               Yami was kind and patient with me as I moved at a snail's pace, now that I was no longer attached to an IV that was constantly pumping pain medicine into my system. Every muscle in my body was stiff and sore. He helped me, without judgement or making it awkward, into my pajamas. Once I was in comfy loose-fitting clothing Yami sat me on the couch before heading to the kitchen to make food.

               "So, are you moving in now?" I asked him curiously as I noticed a duffel bag with his stuff in it sitting at the foot of the couch. He must have gotten it at some point when I'd been in a drug induced Lalaland at the hospital.

               "Maybe. You need constant looking after. I leave you alone for five minutes and you try to break every bone in your body." He quipped as he pulled his long dark hair back into a ponytail and removed the various rings, and edgy cuffs and bracelets from his hands and arms before washing his hands and setting out his ingredients. "Is that going to be a problem?" He challenged me.

               "Nope."

               "Good." He smiled and set to work. In minutes he had all the veggies he'd needed cut in perfect uniform pieces, filleted the fish and had the rice cooking in the rice cooker.

               I slipped off the couch and crept closer to the kitchen to watch him cook. It was mesmerizing. He cooked like one of those fancy chefs on TV, his movements were quick and precise and before long my entire apartment smelled divine.

               Yami chanced a glance upward as if sensing my presence and scowled at me, "Go back to the couch."

               "But it's like magic." I said with stars in my eyes.

               Yami rolled his eyes, "Couch. Now."

               Reluctantly I retreated to the couch before settling onto it and forcing myself to wait patiently for the delicious food. I snagged a plush blanket from atop the back of the couch and wrapped it around myself as I felt a slight chill.  Closing my eyes, I allowed myself to drift in and out of sleep.