Chapter 3

"So, what you're suggesting is that women are superficial beings who only get upset when unattractive men hit on them, Dr. Ryder?" Alexis was holding back a smile as she talked into her microphone.

Chace laughed, his blue eyes filled with mirth. "No, I'm not saying that, Dr. Reyna. What I am saying is that it's a well-known stereotype that women often overlook a man's advances as harassment if he is considered conventionally good-looking."

"So if someone good-looking like Ryan Gosling were to hit on me, I would be fine with it but if someone who looked like Mr. Bean asked me out, I would be dialing Human Resources?"

"According to the stereotype, yes."

"Well ladies and gentlemen, what do you think? Is the stereotype true or would you call BS?"

Mack, the producer signaled they had a female caller on the line.

Alexis pressed the button to take the call. "Hello, you're live on Heartbreakers with doctors Ryder and Reyna."

"Hi, this is Gina."

"Hi there, Gina," Chace said before Alexis could respond. He noticed her eyebrows rose at his behavior but she didn't say anything. Instead, she waited to see how he would deal with the caller.

"Hi, Dr. Ryder. Can I just say that you two are wonderful together! I listen to the show every night and today has been amazing! I can't wait for them to put your face on the website so we can see what you look like."

Chace laughed. "Oh no...I hope I don't disappoint you. You may think I'm a troll."

"A troll?" Gina repeated.

Alexis piped in, "Gina, don't worry. Dr. Ryder is only kidding with you. He's incredibly handsome and he knows it...unfortunately."

"I do believe that was a compliment you just paid me." Chace smiled and Alexis could have sworn he was blushing before he moved on. "So Gina...who do you think is right? Me or Dr. Reyna?"

"Well, I think you're right. I had a creepy guy hit on me at work and I complained about him but if he had been better looking, I probably wouldn't have minded." Gina began giggling on the phone.

"For shame, Gina! How could you side against a fellow female?" Alexis laughed.

Mack signaled that another caller was on the line. The call with Gina was disconnected and Chace pressed the button to accept the next call.

"Heartbreakers, you're on the air," Chace said.

"Hi, my name is Jose."

"Hi, Jose," they both said at the same time.

"I think Dr. Ryder is right, too. Women only want to date good-looking guys."

"Well, Jose," Alexis interrupted. "Couldn't you say the same for men? Are you honestly going to say you wouldn't rather date a beautiful woman over an unattractive one?"

"Well, a woman is a woman so it wouldn't matter to me," Jose said.

"Thank you for your support, Jose. It means a lot to know that both women and men think I'm right and that Dr. Reyna is wrong." Chace was laughing as Alexis gave him the stink eye.

"Fine. If we're going to talk about stereotypes, then I guess it wouldn't matter if we switched the roles and had a woman hitting on a male employee. According to your logic, men would never complain because they'll go after anything with two legs. Is that right?"

"Harsh!" Chace said into his microphone. "Men, can you believe this beautiful lady just said that? What do you have to say in defense?"

Mack signaled another caller.