Chapter 25

"Nicholas?" Alexis was starting to feel dizzy. She shook her head, "No. This isn't real."

"Alexis are you okay? What's going on?" Chace stepped forward and looked over her shoulder at the picture of her brother on her phone.

"I have to call Nicholas."

Alexis quickly called Nicholas and begged him to pick up the phone, "Come on Nicholas pick up...pick up...pick up."

"This is Nicholas. You know what to do."

Alexis could feel the panic rising within her when her brother's voicemail message played. She decided to leave a message, "Nicholas where are you? Call me back now!"

She dialed the same number again only to hear, "This is Nicholas. You know what to do."

"Nicholas this is the second message I'm leaving you! Where are you? Call me now!"

She was about to dial his number again when Chace grabbed her shoulder, "Alexis what's going on?"

She shrugged off his hand and dialed a third time. Her message this time was of her trying not to cry in fear, "Nicholas...I'm begging you please call me."

"Is Nicholas okay?" Chace asked.

"I don't know. I don't know. I'm going to call the police. I can't lose him too," her words were strung together and Chace was having a hard time keeping up.

Alexis was about to dial 911 when the front door opened and in walked Nicholas.

"Nicholas!" Alexis ran to her brother and had him in a tight hug.

"Whoa sis' I'm glad to see you too but can you let go a little? I can barely breathe," Nicholas laughed trying to extract himself from his sister's bear hug.

"Why didn't you pick up your phone? I've been calling you nonstop?"

"You were? I'm sorry. I must've forgotten to take it off silent mode after my meeting," Nicholas said, pulling his phone out of his pocket. "Three missed calls and three messages. You really were blowing up my phone."

"Nicholas he's coming for you."

"Who's coming for me?"

"The man that murdered my friend," Alexis whispered.

"What? Why are you saying that Alexis?"

Alexis pulled out her phone and showed him a picture. He looked at Chace who was staring at the two of them curiously. Nicholas gave a nervous laugh, "It's...it's fine Alexis. He's probably just trying to scare you."

"Well he is. I don't want anything to happen to you too Nicholas."

"I'm not sure I'm following everything that's going on but if you feel threatened you should call the police Alexis," Chace stepped suggested.

Twenty minutes later, Officers Dean Winters and Shelby Diaz were at her house.

"Is this the text?" Diaz asked.

"Yes."

"Don't worry Dr. Reyna. Technology is pretty advanced these days and we can detect which cell tower was used when the message was sent."

"Will that matter?" Chace asked getting everyone to stare at him. "Well...it was clearly taken wherever Nicholas was at."

"If the phone is on maybe we still trace a signal."

"Why don't you change your number in the meantime?" Officer Winters sighed, his hands in his pockets.

"Why don't you shut the f-"