Chapter 23

Chapter 23

"Alexis, we need to call the police," Nicholas spoke, interrupting his sister's thoughts.

Luke nodded, "Right. I don't understand exactly what's going on but you should call the cops if someone's trying to stalk you. Is it that crazy guy from before?" Luke was referring to Larry French.

Nicholas watched as Alexis shook her head, "No. The police told me it wasn't him. He had an alibi around the time I was getting the notes and around the time Deandra was killed."

Luke looked at Nicholas, "Deandra is your sister's friend that you were telling me about?"

"Yeah. I told you things have been crazy around here," Nicholas handed Alexis her cell phone which she had put down on the coffee table, "Call the cops Alexis."

She reached for the phone as it began to ring.

It was Chace.

Alexis felt herself swallowing in nervousness. She looked at her brother as she clicked the green button, accepting his call.

"Hey Alexis. Did you get my fruit bouquet?" Chace asked.

Alexis cleared her throat, "Yeah. I got it. Thank you."

"I had a feeling you would like it."

"It's weird that you knew I liked fruit bouquets. Was it just a guess?" Alexis asked.

Alexis saw her brother roll his eyes, "Alexis. Tell your boyfriend you'll call him later. You have to call the cops. Now!"

"Is something wrong?" Chace asked, as he was able to overhear Nicholas.

"A couple of things have come up. I'll tell you about it later," Alexis remained vague.

"Alexis, the cops? Screw it. I'll call them myself," Nicholas pulled his cellphone out of his pocket and Alexis stood up.

"You're calling the cops?" Chace asked, overhearing Nicholas.

"Listen. I'll tell you about it later. I have to go. Bye Chace." Alexis hung up on him before he could speak.

"Please don't tell me you're going to be stupid and not call the cops?" Nicholas asked, a look of disbelief on his face.

"It's not that simple Nicholas!" Alexis ran a hand through her dark hair and groaned in frustration. She was at her breaking point and she knew it. "It's not that simple."

"How is it not simple? Someone has been spying on you! It's illegal! Someone snuck into this house and planted some stupid monitor crap in your room! For all we know it was the same guy who broke in and gave me a black eye." Nicholas had his hands on his hips. He turned to his friend Luke and asked, "Don't you agree with me?"

Luke remained quiet, watching the both of them. His eyebrows furrowed together as he thought aloud, "Honestly, I think your sister is an intelligent woman. If she didn't want to call the cops, there's probably a good reason." He looked at Alexis, "It's probably a very scary reason."

"What?" Nicholas sighed. "Just spit it out Luke. What are you trying to say?"

Luke shrugged, "Fear is a great way to control someone."

Alexis sat back down, pale. She lifted her hands to cover her ears.

"Alexis?" Nicholas asked, "I know that this is all scary for you but I'm here. I'm here for you. I'll help you in any way that I can. Do you know how hard it is for me to see all this happening to you? We have to call the cops."

"He's got my friend," Alexis whispered.

Both men heard her and looked at one another in surprise.

Luke spoke first, "Alexis, when you say he's got your friend...what do you mean?"