Chapter 17

"What are you typing Gabby?" Ivy asked as she peered over her friend's shoulder. She was shocked at the words on the computer screen.

"Alexis Reyna is a whore. She needs to leave Dr. Ryder alone. I HATE HER!!!"

"Uh...Gabs?"

Gabby was trying to come up with another comment to type out. She looked back at Ivy, "What?"

"When Mack called and asked that we get listeners riled up about Alexis and Chace, I don't think he meant in a negative way."

Gabby and Ivy had met Mack two years ago at a party Alexis was hosting. He was a bit unconventional but passionate about his job. Once he had found out that Deandra, Gabby, Ivy, and Alexis were best friends, he saved all of their numbers and would occasionally text them about upcoming events the radio station was having. Yesterday he had bribed both Gabby and Ivy into helping him promote Alexis and Chace as a couple in exchange for some concert tickets.

"He said to get people talking," Gabby lightly tapped her fingers against the keyboard.

"He didn't say to start rumors. Delete it Gabby. I can't believe you typed that in the first place."

"Fine," Gabby muttered, "Deandra would have sided with me." She deleted her post about hating Alexis.  

Ivy scoffed, "No she wouldn't have."

Gabby ignored that comment, "What about something about her being pregnant? Or a secret marriage?"

Ivy covered her face in her hands, "Oh I can't believe we agreed to do this for some Maroon 5 tickets."

"Ivy, they're front row tickets! Besides, we're helping Alexis and her show become more popular."

Ivy groaned, "We're probably going to Purgatory for this. Write the one about the secret marriage."

Gabby giggled, "But why would they keep their marriage a secret?"

Ivy contemplated that, "Fine, scratch that. Ooh I know! Type out that they're secretly engaged!"

Gabby and Ivy locked eyes and both of them smiled and said, "Perfect."

--------------------

The Next Day: Home of Alexis and Nicholas

"What in the world?" Alexis was in her study, reading her e-mails. She was getting an influx of congratulations in regards to her recent engagement to Dr. Chace Ryder.

"Hey sis," Nicholas came strolling into her study, a tablet in his hands, "Are you getting married?"

"What?" Alexis was surprised even Nicholas was aware of the engagement rumor.

Nicholas showed her his tablet which had the local society page up. Alexis groaned, "This isn't in the newspaper is it?"

Nicholas shook his head and answered, "No. This is too new so it's just online. Are you and Chace engaged?"

"Yeah right Nicholas. Do you actually think I would get engaged and not tell you?"

Nicholas shrugged, "I don't know. It kind of hurt my feelings...thinking you would keep it a secret from me. This sounds bad but I'm glad you're still one of those old single crazy cat ladies that no one will marry."

He grinned and Alexis scowled, "First of all, I'm not old. Second...I don't have any cats!"

"But you admit to the crazy part, right?"

"Nicholas!"

He smirked and walked forward, wrapping Alexis in an unexpected hug, "I'm sorry Alexis. I just...I just want you to be happy and safe."