Ten - Part A

Ayaan placed down the payment files on the desk in his room. He was contented with how smoothly he played that card. But his smile vanished when he remembered the screenshot of the stack in Ankush's study.

The first one was a stamp paper. He pressed the pads of his fingers to his eyes, trying to remember the content printed on it. He did see Aakriti's name on it. He turned on his heels and went back to the study room.

He opened the door an inch width to listen in.

"This is wrong, Agnihotri. The will must be read before the whole family." He heard Siddhant saying.

Will? Aakriti's will. Why didn't he think of that?

Ayaan stepped into the room, questioning about the will. Before Ankush answered, Siddhant asked him, "Ayaan, good that you are here. Could you please call gather everyone in the living room. I have an important issue to tell you."

"Sure." He called Dhruv and asked him to bring Chhaya.

---

Chhaya was relaxing in her room. She had done her work. She also decided not to inform Ankush, until he comes back to normal state. She would use it as a bargain to gain back the control she had on this family.

Dhruv knocked on the open door. "Mom, advocate Siddhant has called us."

Sitting across from Siddhant, she prayed that there would be no new obstacle in her path. She had worked too hard to reach this point a short distance away from being successful, but her house of cards was always in the danger of getting blown away in the face of a strong wind. The imagery retrieved a face in her mind, and she blinked the imagery away.

Siddhant started reading the will Aakriti had left. In her knowledge, Aakriti didn't own anything substantial enough to need a will. But then, she had learnt long ago not to underestimate the Agnihotri siblings.

"I, Aakriti Agnihotri..." Chhaya tuned out the fustian, only listening in to matters of her concern. "... property in Jaipur at address... to Ayaan Agnihotri... apartment in Mumbai... to Dhruv..."

She was unaware of both properties. It was possible she owned one in Mumbai, but she didn't understand why she would have a property in Jaipur.

"The bank accounts were jointly held, so, as the survivor, they will be yours, Ankush. The deposits will be handled based on respective nominations." Siddhant gave Ankush a copy of the will.

Ayaan voiced her question. "Why did Aunt buy property in Jaipur? We don't have any relatives or business over there."

Siddhant answered him. "Ayaan, she received it as a gift from her friend..."

Chhaya wished she could glue the advocate's lips together. Before that, her instincts kicked in. "Siddhant, is that all? Will you handle the rest of the matters to ensure the registrations are carried out properly?"

"Yes, definitely."

They dispersed, sending off Siddhant and retiring to their rooms.

Not before, Chhaya heard the conversation between Ayaan and Dhruv.

"Ayaan, shall I leave or stay?"

"Stay for a while."

---

Raghav had overheard the discussion over Aakriti's will. While the family members didn't make much of the Jaipur property, he doubted it to be a clue. A hint that Aakriti left for Ayaan. The Mumbai property would be more expensive which she left for Dhruv. He decided to visit both with the brothers.

A throat clearing brought him to the present. Chhaya stood by his chair at the kitchen island.

"Yes?" He asked, carefully, looking around for any audience.

"Did you meet Ayaan at the old bungalow on that day?"

Her eyes bore through him drilling for answers he didn't want to give. The question hung over him like a sword. It meant Chhaya knew Ayaan was at Aashayein. If he agreed, she would question what they spoke about. If he denied, he would lose her trust.

"Why do you ask?"

The next moment he felt the dinner fork pressing into the side of his neck. "You answer my question." When he didn't say anything, the tines of fork dug deeper against his skin.

"I took him there." The fork was removed, and he breathed a sigh of relief.

"Why did you do that?"

"I didn't know whether what you said was correct. I thought of it as a trap to get me to Aashayein. Maybe you decided you didn't need me anymore. So I brought Ayaan..."

"...as your shield." Chhaya laughed. "That would have been quite a bargain I missed. I don't want to see this fork again." She stared him down before throwing the fork on the floor and leaving.

He promised himself to bring Chhaya Luthra to justice.

His phone beeped at a notification. Aakriti's phone was switched on in Sydney.

###

Your opinions, reactions, comments and feedback please =>>

Pursuit was added to a number of reading lists this week. Thanks to all the readers for your support. I would like it more if your support wasn't so silent and spoke in the form of votes and comments. Nevertheless, you matter to me and I write for your reading pleasure.