Chapter Six

They appeared on the ledge of a tall mountain, facing the valley he had created. The stunning woman in his arms only added to the beauty that surrounded them. It had taken him centuries to create this place. He had never wanted to share its pulchritude with another.

Not until he met her.

She personified beauty – gave it real meaning.

She inhaled sharply, and he watched her face as she took in their surroundings.

"Wow."

He smiled at her reaction, proud that his creation could leave her breathless.

"This place is unbelievable." She turned in his arms and smiled up at him.

"Thank you."

He beat his wings and brought them into the air, still clutching her tightly against him. He flew them over the river that ran through the base of the mountain and cut through the large valley. The sound of the running water floated up to them.

"It's just like Earth," she said, wind whipping tendrils of her hair away from her face. "Where does the sunlight come from?"

"I created it," he said, smiling at the wonder on her face, "would you like to see?"

He followed her gaze to where the small ball of fire burned in the sky above them. It was just enough to light his hidden paradise, and from a distance looked exactly like the sun. He released her waist and captured her hand in his, guiding her higher up and bringing her closer to it.

"Incredible," she whispered, admiring the star of his creation. It was as tall as he was – it's circumference equal to his height as well. From up close, it was easy to see the flames that burned in the sphere – bathing his home with artificial sunlight.

"I'm glad you like it." He guided her to the ground and landed them in a soft patch of grass. Flowers bloomed all around them and the stream trickled nearby. "Are you hungry?"

"Angels don't feel hunger," she said, lowering herself to sit in the grass.

Interesting.

"Do demons eat?"

He took a seat beside her and waved his palm before them. A basket of fresh fruit and baked goods appeared in the grass in front of them. "Yes. We suffer from hunger and thirst, just as mortals do."

She hummed and lifted a muffin from the basket.

"Have you ever eaten?" He enjoyed the way she studied the small cake in amazement. She brought it to her nose and sniffed. Her eyes brightened, and she glanced at him.

"It smells wonderful. And no, I've never indulged in food before."

He reached for the muffin in her hand and broke it in half, offering her the larger piece. "Go ahead, take a bite."

She hesitated. "Is this a trick?"

He laughed, bemused. "No. It's only a muffin."

"The Devil tempted Eve with an apple and look where that got mankind."

He laughed out loud. "I'm not the Devil. I prefer to seduce my women, not trick them."

She turned a lovely shade of pink and looked down at her piece of muffin. She tried to hide her smile from him, but it was too late. He had already seen it. He never tired of the way she blushed around him. It made him picture all the alternative ways he could make her flush.

She parted her full lips and brought the muffin to her mouth, taking a modest bite. Her eyes fell shut and she hummed, chewing the small piece and swallowing audibly.