Chapter Thirteen

Watching her go was the hardest thing he had to do so far – but it wouldn't be the worst. Asmodeus had been dreading this moment for a while now, knowing that it was inevitable but hating it all the same.

It was time he tempted the prophet with Envy, and that meant it was time to end things with the angel.

Ah, Hell.

He didn't want to do anything to hurt her, but what choice did he have?

If he didn't push her away now, she would be exposed – vulnerable. Lucifer made it clear she was a target now that the King of Demons developed feelings for her. He was a damn fool to act on those emotions openly. He should have known the Devil would send his spies to watch him.

Satan was nothing if not determined to fulfil his vendetta against the King of Hell. Asmodeus knew he would never give up his desire for the throne.

He was running out of time.

If Abdul passed this trial – and something told Asmodeus that he would – the Prince of Darkness would surely send that God-forsaken insect to hurt her. It would be the fastest and surest way to punish the demon, and she would be used as leverage against him.

Despite already having taken precautions to protect his throne in case that happened, he didn't want any harm to come to Armaita.

Dammit, he loved her so much it hurt.

Literally hurt.

His chest was so tight right now, he could barely breathe. And that was only from the thought of losing her. He couldn't imagine what it would feel like if she was actually in danger.

Hours had passed since she resurfaced to be with her charge. He had been putting his task off all day. He glanced out the window, seeing that his star had already begun to change its appearance – taking on the image of the moon.

He had designed it that way, giving it the power to reflect whatever happened on earth. It had even rained at times in his domain, making his little haven feel like an actual part of nature.

Armaita would come looking for him soon if he didn't make an appearance. The problem was, he didn't want to face her. He didn't want to end things with her. He wanted to take her into his arms and promise to cherish and protect her forever. He wanted to forsake the throne and beg her to turn her back on her duty so that they could be together in peace.

Nothing would make him happier.

But he couldn't ask that of her. Asking an angel to fall from grace would be like asking her to sell her soul for his sake. He would never do such a thing.

Being a demon meant he was naturally selfish and uncaring toward others. But not toward her. She was everything to him. He would never risk her soul or put her in danger to satisfy his own needs.

He had to do this.

Asmodeus was shocked when an overwhelming sadness weighed down on him. His entire body felt as though it would be crushed by the strong emotions. His eyes stung, and he blinked rapidly to ease the pain.

To his horror, a tear slipped past the lower lid, rolling onto his eyelash before landing on his cheek. He lifted a hand, swiping the tiny drop with his thumb. He brought it closer and rubbed his index finger over the moist skin until the tear was absorbed into it.

He couldn't believe it.

Never in his eternal existence had he cried before. The thought of losing his precious angel was affecting him more than he expected it to.

"Enough of this," he growled to himself. He had to get a fucking grip.

Closing his eyes and shaking his sadness away, he summoned his second in command. Adramelech appeared before him, his large body bent forward over his right knee while the left rested on the ground.