CHAPTER FOUR

"Alright, round four!" shouted Conor as he tousled her hair. "Go get her!"

Jessica took one more sip of the Strawberry Lemonade, got up and raised her gloves in a defensive position. She made her way to the center of the ring, maintaining her stance.

The Momba advanced slowly, lightly throwing a few jabs, clearly toying with her.

"You think you can take down the Green Momba?" she asked Jessica. "You are weak. You cannot defeat me."

Jessica said nothing and took a step forward. Then, out of the corner of her eye, she noticed something. No, she noticed someone. Standing ringside. It was Billy. He had come to watch her fight. Jessica gasped.

Suddenly, moving as quickly as a snake biting into its prey, like lightning striking a tree, the Momba hit Jessica with three consecutive hooks, an uppercut, a left roundhouse kick, a right roundhouse kick, another left roundhouse kick and finally a spinning elbow. Before she knew it, Jessica hit the mat. Hard.

The referee dropped to his knees and began counting.

"One!"

It can't end like this, Jessica thought.

"Two!"

I've trained too hard, given up so much.

"Three!"

She recalled the late night training sessions with Conor, sparring and chugging a refreshing, delicious Strawberry Lemonade after each match.

"Four!"

She remembered spending hours going over footage of Momba, learning her patterns, her rhythm.

"Five!"

"Jessica!" shouted Conor. She opened her eyes. Conor was still holding the Strawberry Lemonade.

"Six!"

"The key to victory is in the name of this beverage. It's not just a Strawberry Lemonade..."

"Seven!"

"It's an ALL-NATURAL Strawberry Lemonade." Conor said. "Just like you."

"Eight!"

Jessica raised her head. She put her hands on the mat. Conor was right. All. Natural. The secret ingredient wasn't some technique or maneuver. It came from within.

"Nine!"

She raised herself up and glared at the Momba. The ref waved to the announcers, signaling the match would continue. The Momba glared at Jessica, staring her down like an angry tiger that had stepped on a coconut. She sneered, then raised her leg into the air. Time stopped. Everyone froze. Jessica braced herself and closed her eyes, remembering everything Conor taught her. The Momba then brought her foot down onto Jessica.

THWACK!