Chapter Six:

School was uneventful, there was a series of study periods to prepare them for upcoming tests, and Tohru was studying her heart out. She'd made a promise to her mom to always try her best in school, and not fail tests. She'd been so busy with work and saving up and working was putting a lot of pressure on her.

Tohru sighed, and internally chided herself for slacking. I've got to do better, she pumped herself up, Mom would want me to really try.
After school, Yuki and Kyo walked her home, bickering the whole way home. Uncharacteristically however, Yuki stopped suddenly, a faraway look in his eyes, "Oh,-" he groaned, and brought a hand up to his face, "I forgot to finish my paperwork for student council-" he heaved a great sigh. His light eyes flashing with anger at his own failure. He couldn't believe he'd forgotten.

Kyo cut him off, "And what, you expect us to go back with you to finish your dumb papers? Uh, I don't think so rat boy-" he grabbed Tohru by the arm, gently, but he showed he was in command, his grip firm, and wrapped around her whole are, "We're going home. Tohru doesn't work tonight, and she's not spending her evening wandering back and forth from school and home because you're not organized-".

"Oh, no-" Tohru stuttered a little, "It's okay, I didn't mind-" Her body language was awkward, she didn't want to cause a greater issue between the two boys, but she also didn't want to head back to the school and wait for Yuki to be done.

Yuki bristled, leaning in to be nose to nose with Kyo. "I didn't ask that Miss Honda accompany me to the school, because I know better than to be a burden on people". His light eyes flashed as he pulled back his lip into a sneer. He was feeling particularly spiteful, and he felt that the burden comment would be extra hurtful to Kyo.

"Oh ya?" Kyo shouted, hands clenched into fists at his sides. "Well, I think you're a burden on everyone, you damn rat!" His chest puffed out as he breathed rapidly, constricting with anger. "What good have you ever done anybody? Hiding out at Shigure's – you're just as much of a leech as me!" He shouted, his nostrils flared, and Tohru placed a hand on his arm, gently, her hand connecting with his bare flesh.

His eyes widened, and his angry demeanor cracked a little. Yuki saw the change, and he saw Tohru's hand on Kyo's arm. "That damn cat-" he thought to himself angrily, "Tohru deserves better than that". However, he was good at containing his emotions, and he turned to walk away. "I'll be home as soon as I can Miss Honda, I'm sorry for the hold up."

Tohru shook her head rapidly, "No need to be sorry!" She called after his retreating figure, "I'm excited to see you at home! Be safe!" She waved at him but he couldn't see.

Kyo rolled his eyes at her, "Do you have to be so, so-" he stuttered, "So sweet all the time?" He sighed, grabbing her hand, "Come on, let's go home" . He was still boiling under the surface, but Tohru had a good way of quenching his temper. His rage petered out, and by the time he got home, he was feeling pretty cheerful again.

Tohru let him pull her home, enjoying the feeling of soft, warm, skin on her hand, and his touch felt like it burned marks into the skin. There was something about his touch that was so warm and enjoyable, she never wanted it to end.

The walk was over too soon, and Kyo slid open the door at the front of the house, shouting, "We're home!" Knowing Shigure would probably pop out in a second to say hello. However, instead of Shigure, and the normal scent of cigarette smoke that followed him wherever he went, the less familiar, but still recognizable voice of Ayame came from around the corner

"Oh hello, little ones!" Ayama's high pitched, and very loud voice, boomed from around the corner. "I was on my way back from the store, I'd gone out to find some ribbon to adorn my hair, I'd come all this way to see darling little Yuki, and as I was crossing the street I saw a child eating a candy, and I thought, why not bring the children candy!" He always spoke in a rush, his stories neverending, "So I went to the shop, and the shop keeper was a darling, and I bought candy, and I brought it here, but when I arrived, naughty Shigure, the bad man that he is, he demanded we sample it, just to make sure that the candy was suitable, and before we even knew what was happening, we'd gobbled it all up-" he rubbed his belly, "And now I feel ever so ill, and I'm just hoping that Tohru cooks up something light, because my belly is stuffed". He flipped his long, silver locks over one shoulder, and beamed at them both.

Tohru was a little stunned after the monologue, but Kyo was never one to hold his tongue. "So why didn't you just say you brought candy for you and that pig Shigure, and you ate it all? Why the damn run around?"

Shigure peeked his head out around the corner of the room, "Now Kyo, I understand you're mad about the candy, but do you think it's necessary to call me a pig?" He had a cigarette clenched between one finger, and a mock sad expression that wouldn't have fooled a child.
"Now, where is darling Yuki?" Ayame asked, twirling around, hair shimmering, and face glowing with excitement.

"Oh, uh-" Tohru paused for a second, "He had to stay back at the school to finish paperwork for student council, he'll be a little while." She hoped Ayame wasn't too upset, after all, he'd come all this way to see Yuki, and he wasn't even there.

Ayame's face fell, but he didn't stay sad for long, and immediately perked up, "Well, that's quite alright! I am excited to hear that Yuki is finally casting aside the life of a hermit, and is instead coming to join the charismatic extroverts!" He twirled once more, an everyone in the room stared at him.

"Now, as penance for eating all the delicious candy I brought you all, how about I take you out to dinner, and then to my shop? I've never gotten time to spend alone with the princess,-" he held a hand out to Tohru, "And you-" he gestured to Kyo, "Yuki's rival, it would be ever so interesting if you decided to join us."

Kyo was shocked at the invitation. Typically members of the Sohma family avoided inviting him to anything, or they didn't let their bias towards the cat stand in the way of their demeaning remarks, before they told him that he wasn't invited. He was stunned, and stood quietly for a second, long enough for Tohru to give him a slight nudge, and a smile, encouraging him.

"Uh, sure-" Kyo finally agreed, "I guess that would be fun". He didn't really know what to expect. He didn't know what Yuki's brother even sold in his shop, but he was partial to free food, and spending time with Tohru. Especially while the rat was out of the picture. He grinned a little bit at the thought.

"Oh, but you'd leave me here to starve?" Shigure whined, still puffing on his cigarette in the doorway. "Oh, Aya, it's so not fair-" Ayame cut him off with a wave of his hand, "My dear friend, if you come to the shop, you'll ruin the surprise, order take out, and dream of me-" he winked, leaning forward to grab Tohru and Kyo's hand, "We're leaving now, have fun!" And with that, Aya pulled them both out the door, down the road, and into town, in a whirl of excitement, babbling the whole way.