Chapter 2

Years seemed to pass like the hours they road together on that motorbike through the desert, time seeming to only move faster and faster the more they enjoyed their time together. But like time always does, the joy was ripped from the young man as the ride slowly came to an end of a desert to the stone streets of the border town, and even more as he came into the very city of Delphinium. The joy was sapped from him slowly as even more times passed, and like all things do, he became older and bitter. And now......

Darek opened his eyes slowly, the darkness of the cold room engulfing him in a somewhat eerie shadow. The finer drapes of maroon and black hung over the windows, blocking out what he would assume would be the dreaded sun, and all of the lavished decorations hung still and soulless in the room. The painting of his late father hung over the hearth, glaring down at the canopy bed in which his son was sleeping on, the glass and crystal ornaments hung from the rafters as they awaited the sunshine to sparkle and cast their playful glow around the room, the animal skin rug laying at the foot of his bed as a prize so many years ago. He sighed to himself and covered his bare chest with the maroon satin sheets, turning onto his side with his eyes closed.

Slowly, he reached out to the other end of the bed, trying to grasp at the air for a cold metallic body or wisps of long raven hair sleepily. When he felt nothing in his aging hands, he opened his eyes. He sat up slowly, looking around the room as his eyes landed on a small vanity that awaited use by the far window. He smiled a little as he remembered the day he bought that for his prized possession, almost twenty years ago.

"Do you like it, Eve?" Darek asked, still young and youthful with a smile on his face. He was dressed all in maroon, his suit fitting over his muscular body perfectly as he brushed out Eve's soft hair. 

She smiled a little, looking at her reflection in the glass as she played with a amber amulet around her neck. "You did not have to do this for me, Lord Darek." She whispered, her hand dropping back to her lap as she played with the long skirt of the sapphire colored dress. 

"Oh, but I had to!" Darek said cheerfully, brushing her cold cheek with his black gloved hand. "Eve, you have been living with me for years now. You are as much of a family member as I was to my father. Even more!"  She turned a little to face him, her amber eyes looking up at him with a sad look. 

"But what will your wife say? She would think I was your mistress, or worse, a whore." Darek let out a joyful laugh, matching the playful lights that danced around the room as the sun shown through the open window.

"Oh, Eve, please! My wife would never! She loves you. And I know our son will love you too." When he said that her eyes glossing over, like she was going to cry at any second. He kissed her forehead gently, kneeling down to be eye level with her as his smile left his lips. "Eve.... Are you missing them?" Eve took a minute, averting her eyes before nodding.

"My Lord," She said slowly, choosing her words carefully. "you have been so kind to me for these two years, but I feel like I need to get home." 

Taking both her hands in his, he gently rubbed circles in her dainty hands as he smiled up at her. "Eve, you are my closest friend, the one who encouraged me to keep going with all this. You got me through my father's death and my forced engagement, and know you are caring for my child. Please, don't go now."  Eve sighed, standing up and helping Darek to his feet, a smile playing on her face.

"All right, Lord Darek. But as soon as I need to, I have to go home and check on the children." He sighed, holding her hands in his still and squeezing only a little. 

"Fine, I will agree to that. But please, Eve, just a little longer." She smiled that bright and beautiful and patted his slicked back hair and nodded.