Chapter 5

"How was your ride today, Lord Darek?" The maid asked, opening the door to the outside as the tall man strolled in, a grimace on his face. "Was it as bad as the last?"

"No, not this time." He mused, keeping his pace as he started taking off his gloves and hat, handing them to another awaiting maid by the stairs. "Has my son returned yet?"

"Yes sir, he's in his room with Butler Rogers at the moment." Darek arched an eyebrow as he started up the grand double staircase. "He said that he was in the marketplace today, as always."

"Tsk." The Lord sighed as he made it to the top, the young maid fallowing behind him like a loyal dog. "Let me guess, he had that violin with him?"

"Yes, my Lord." She said, keeping her eyes on the floor. "He seemed really excited about something."

"Hhhhhmmm." Darek mused, waving his hand to dismiss her. "That will be all." The maid curtsied and shuffled off to another part of the mansion, most likely the washroom or the laundry station to see if she was needed there.

Sighing, Darek walked briskly towards the south hall, passing through the dark hallways like a ghost among the dark art gallery that hung on either side of him. The lamps lit the way, but he kept his eyes on the pinprick of light at the end of the corridor, the window letting in the bright light of the sunny day. He could hear the slightest hisses of voices as he drew nearer, the hisses gradually becoming understandable whispers and hushed words. Arching an eyebrow, he stood in front of the door and knocked out of courtesy.

Mr. Rogers opened the door like he was waiting for him, opening it wide and stepping to the side so he could enter the room with ease. The room was large, big enough to fit the bone white canopy king sized bed against the far wall, the telescope propped right up against the open window. Hundreds of crystal and glass mobiles hung from the high ceiling, casting a cheerful glow around the powder blue walls filled with drawings and sketches. A work bench was set up near the door with tools and gears strewn across it in a chaotic array of half finished works and tinker toys. Darek sighed as he stepped through the threshold, trying not to focus on his son's half naked skin as he washed the dirt of his arms and legs, as he looked to the old man with a hard expression.

"Rogers, why didn't you just take him to the showering room? He's going to get the carpets all wet." Darek mused in an annoyed tone, making his son look over at him with wide eyes.

"Hello father." the young man said with a smile, his bright blue eyes shining just like the water droplets on his skin. "I was not expecting you to be home so soon."

"Hello, Elijah." His father said sternly. "Have a nice time in the market today?"

"Yes." Elijah said brightly, looking back to his red skin as he continued scrubbing the dirt and grime off his body with the hard sponge. "I won't bore you with the details, though. It is, after all, your day off."

"Don't you dare sass me, boy." Darek hissed, making his son's smile falter ever so slightly. "I may be taking a day off of being Lord, but I never stop being your father. Now, Rogers, why is he washing in here?"

"He felt like it, sir." Mr. Rogers mused, a smile starting on the corner of his lips. "If I recall, you used to do this as well when you were younger." Darek rolled his eyes and let out a exhausted sigh.

"Well, make sure the rug is replaced and cleaned after this. Elijah" The single father said, making his son raise an eyebrow in curiosity. "I have been given an invitation to the ball tomorrow night-"

"I am aware of that father," Elijah interrupted. "And I would like to join you this year. I know at least one person who is going to be there." Darek arched an eyebrow and nodded slightly.