II. welcome to west derry high

friday, 3 January
As Richie plopped down into his seat, pulling his maths textbooks out, he noticed a new boy sheepishly shuffling in. His deep golden brown eyes scanning the room for an empty seat. Richie didn't know why but his heart fluttered when he laid eyes on the smaller boy. His hair was a wave of dark brown, freckles dotted his dim skin and his pink lips where chapped from the cold. Richie watched as the teacher beckoned for the boy to sit in the empty chair next to him. He carefully made his way back, fiddling with the straps on his backpack and nervously licking at his lips. Richie snapped out of his trance.
"Hey, I'm Richie!" he stuck out his hand for the other boy to shake.
"Oh uh, I'm Eddie." the other boy said placing his soft hand in Richies firm grip.
"Nice to meet ya Eds! Welcome to the hell hole that is West Derry High." he beamed.
"Well thanks I guess" Eddie chuckled "and don't call me that..."
"Aye aye, captain Eds!" Richie saluted, faking a (terrible) Scottish accent.
-
During lunch Richie and the rest of the Losers sat at a picnic table to eat together. While Richie ate his sandwich all he could think of was Eddie- he couldn't help but smile to himself thinking of how his voice sounded like summer and how soft his hands were and how his eyes were so dark yet sparkled and how...
Fuck... am I gay???
He shook the thought off, too intimidated to confront it.
"R-rich" Bill waved a hand in front of his face "you th-there?"
"Yea, of course, I was just thinking, um, about the game tonight." he fumbled for his words.
"A-alright then." Bill didn't put up a fight.
Then, from across the courtyard, Richie spotted Eddie wandering around.
"I'll be right back." Richie said plainly, getting up and jogging off towards Eddie.
"Hey, spaghetti man, wanna come eat lunch with me?" he offered with a wide smile.
"Yea sure! And do not fucking call me that either, please!"
"No problem" Richie huffed. He lead Eddie back to the table where the Losers where attentively spying on them.
"Guys this is Eddie, he's new so try to be a bit more damn decent than usual!" Richie mocked.
The Losers waved to Eddie giving small polite smiles and introducing themselves. The boys sat down at the crowded table forcing them to sit squished together, their legs almost on top of the others.
"So Eds," Richie started through a mouthful of sandwich "I have a game here tonight, wanna come?"
"Uh what kind of game??"
"Football! What the hell other kind of game?" he joked.
"Oh heh, yea of course! What time?" Eddie asked gently.
"6:30, be there or be square, fuckers!" Richie yelled to all his friends as the bell rung, calling them all back to their lessons.
"Um, Richie, where's Mr. Davis' room?" Eddie asked.
"Follow me, I'm actually going there next." Richie absentmindedly went to grab Eddies hand, then jerked it back realizing what he was doing.
For the rest of the day leading up to the football game, Eddie couldn't stop thinking about Richie and how excited he was to see him play. At the end of the day the two boys ran into each other at the door. Normally, Richie knows exactly what to say all the time but for some reason, he froze up around Eddie. After making some small talk and constantly nervously looking at the time on his phone, Richie loosened up a bit.
"I've gotta go now but, I'll see you later tonight!" Eddie smiled and began to walk off.
"See ya..." Richie trailed "wait!"
Eddie spun around on his heels to see Richie waving him to come back while rummaging in his book bag. He pulled a pen out, grabbed Eddie's arm and began to write his number.
"Here's this incase you get lost or somethin" Richie ruffled Eddie's hair playfully.
"Hah," he blushed "thanks!"
"Well, see ya tonight Eds!" Richie saluted to the boy and walked off. Eddie couldn't take his eyes off of the tall boy as he walked away. The way his curls tossed about was entrancing. Eddie was falling for him.
Falling hard.