Chapter 23: Of Aftermath

COVER ON THE SIDE BY VLADIJENNIE

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Recap: 

"Her wolf," the original witch, Millicent, started. "Her wolf is gone because of the consequences of a silver bullet. Ms. Taken did not escape her demise unscathed like we believed, after all."

My parents always warned me about enemies. When they surround you, they chip away from you, break down your defenses and try to destroy you. And at the end, you lose a part of your original self.

I try one last time.

            'Scarlett?'

                        . . .

Author's Note: This chapter is shorter than usual because in a way, this is considered a filler. But it's an important filler, if that makes sense.

Original werewolf: Jackson / Head of the Council

Original reaper: Chauncey

Original angel: Cecily

Original vampire: Derrick

Original fairy: Theophilia

Original witch: Millicent

x unedited

Chapter 23: Of Aftermath 

Charlotte's POV

People were a little like puzzles. We come to earth as a pile of pieces - some pieces were important and contributed to our life style, while others were just there to fill the gaps. Nonetheless, even the littlest things kept us complete. But, each hurt, each abuse, each mental torture you have ever experienced will inevitably rip away from you.

And, at the end, a piece of yourself will disappear. You'll never be whole again.

I've seen people fall apart before. They start to crack, and eventually they separate into tiny pieces. Then, they crumble into nothing but a brokenness too fractured to mend. They wither away, until someone grows the courage to take their pieces.

I knew I was going to end up like that, I knew I was going to fall apart.

An overwhelming silence washes over me, pushing me under the waves of sorrow and grief and some other emotions I'm too drowned in to even notice. In the midst, my lungs fill up with sadness, and it feels like I can't breathe anymore. My hand reaches for my heart, and it almost seems like it is breaking in two underneath my palm.

"Does this mean she can't shift anymore?" Jackson inquired, unconcealed worry flashing through his eyes before he goes blank once again. I can feel Millicent frowning, disarmed by the abruptness of the question. Her gaze casts towards me, being both unnerving and heavy as my eyes meets hers.

Her expression is like a void, empty and blank. I want to cover my ears, I want to tune them out. I don't want to listen anymore but my ears will me to.

"She can still shift," Millicent confirms and I can't help but feel a twinge of relief. But her next words sting me in a place where no physical abuse could touch. "Though, when she does shift, she won't be able to control herself. She'll be similar to those wolves in the wilderness, vicious and remorseless."