Minding the Gap

Day 121

Tahl took in a deep breath and allowed her senses to immerse her fully within the moment. The various fragrances of the vibrant and verdant life around her wafted gently through the air carried on subtle, but pleasant breezes that tickled her skin and lightly lifted the occasional errant wisps of hair that framed her face. There was a delicate sweetness in the air that danced across her lips and tongue with each soft stir of the qualla tree blossoms behind her, but the most pleasing gift to her senses laid several meters before her. The sight of four smiling young faces, the peals of laughter in high pitched adolescent tones, the cradling currents of the Force binding the four together in joy, those were all wondrous to behold and Tahl reveled in the serenity of the moment.

It was peaceful.

It was normal.

And naturally, it was short lived.

Tahl was pulled from her quiet enjoyment as her comm. beeped insistently. She activated the small device hoping the tiny tendril of fear that spiked in her mind was unwarranted.

"Uvain."

"Tahl? Oh, thank the Force!"

"Vresh? What's going on? Are you okay?" she asked standing up and moving further away from the group of Jedi youths.

"That's what I was going to ask you," Vresh's voice answered over her comm. His voice was even, but Tahl knew him well enough to hear the undercurrent of worry in his strong tenor.

"Is Obi-Wan..."

"Obi-Wan is fine. What's going on, Vresh?"

"Are you certain?" he continued, ignoring her question entirely. "Be certain, Tahl."

"I'm certain," she replied slightly annoyed at the continuing lack of information. "I'm looking at him right now. He's sitting and talking with his friends. Now, tell me what the hell is going on? What did," she stopped and the pause caused the tension in Vresh's voice to become nearly palpable.

"What? What's happening? Tahl!"

"Hush. Give me a sec," she answered and the she promptly put her friend on mute as Master Windu and Master Rhara hastily approached her. Mace's scowl was at its finest.

"What happened?" he asked skipping all attempts at pretext or pleasantries. Both masters were anxiously surveying the scene, scrutinizing the group of four carrying on obliviously some meters away. Tahl placed her hands on her hips.

"Why does everyone keep asking me that? Nothing's happened here," she said then she glanced at Clee Rhara and back to Mace. "Why don't you tell me what's supposed to be happening."

Mace turned to Clee who nodded and relaxed. Slightly. He then turned his attention back to Tahl.

"For a moment, Clee lost all bond contact with her padawan, Muln," he replied gesturing subtly with his chin toward the group of friends. Out of the four, only one other was a padawan like Obi-Wan and that was Garen Muln. The others, Reeft and Bant Eerin, were still initiates though Tahl suspected that wouldn't be true for either of them much longer.

"And now?" Tahl asked the fiery haired master.

"It's back to normal. I don't even think he noticed," Clee answered. Tahl thumbed the mute on her comm.

"...don't answer me right now, I swear I will reach through this comm. and,"

"Qui-Gon, shut up. I've taken you off mute," she said then she paused to make certain he was listening. "Now tell me, did you lose contact with Obi-Wan?"