On Purpose

Day 156

Small. So small. That's how she looked to him as she laid there unmoving, unresponsive, and so very, very small. He was still holding her hand as the healers worked quickly and efficiently to divest the padawan of her clothing and affixed leads and sensors to her body after shaving away the fur to reveal the needed small patches of skin. She was going to hate that when she woke. The thought made the master smile a bit. She would wake. She must wake.

"Master Tivi?" Master Songe said. Vresh looked up to find himself staring at the intense eyes of the Mirialan healer.

"Yes," the white-haired master answered softly.

"I need you to let go of her hand now. She has to go into surgery and no," the master healer said raising a stalling hand, "you may not come in. You can stare at her in the bacta tank and you can stare at her in her bed, but you cannot be there to stare at her in my surgical room. Are we clear?" the healer finished. Vresh reluctantly gave a curt nod of his head then turned his gaze back to his apprentice.

"How long?"

"A few hours at least," Songe replied. He waited a moment, but when the other master made no further move he was compelled to speak again. "Tivi, we must go. Now," he commanded forcefully, but his tone though authoritative was not without compassion. Vresh pulled the hand he held to his chest and leaned over. He lightly kissed the furred forehead of his padawan.

"I will be here when you wake, little one. I promise," he whispered then he stepped back, releasing her hand. Immediately a swarm of healers surrounded the small body and she was whisked away from him without another word. Vresh remained in the now empty room existing as silently and as unmoving as the young girl that dominated his thoughts.

* * * * *

"Padawan, are you alright?"

"I'm... I'm not hurt, Master."

"And you?" Qui-Gon asked turning his attention to the Rattataki youth. Adaen looked to the long-haired master with an expression Qui-Gon could not define, but still left him feeling ill at ease.

"Oh, I'm fine, Master Jinn," Adaen responded. The master regarded the teen for a moment longer before bringing his attention back to his padawan. Obi-Wan looked up at his tall master, his eyes filled with both fear and shock. Qui-Gon rested a large hand on the boy's slender shoulder and gave him a reassuring squeeze before turning his gaze to the knight at his left. The Twi'lek hadn't spoken since giving his description of the accident to the healers. Instead the yellow skinned Jedi found himself staring at the pool of blood still on the gym floor, seemingly oblivious to all around him.

"Knight...?" Qui-Gon began. When he doesn't get a response he repeated his inquiry. "Knight?"

The Twi'lek's gaze shot up to meet the master's.

"Apologies, Master Jinn. I guess I'm still a bit... distracted by today's events," he answered. Qui-Gon nodded.

"Understandably. Forgive me, but I don't believe I know your name."

"Ah," the Twi'lek said with a small and crooked smile just barely flashing his sharp teeth. "Ani Dasa."

"A pleasure, Knight Dasa," the master replied with a slight bow. "Tell me, did you see everything?" he asked and the master noted the slight frown that instantly creased the young knight's features.