Chapter 2 "Getting ready..."

Candy was too emotional to be hungry. She decided to go for a walk in Central Park for an hour. An icy wind was blowing on trees. Candy walked for a long time, so happy; her baby wasn't dead... yet... yet...

The great aunt Elroy had told her her baby was still born. Either she lied... or Esther wasn't her daughter... Yet, why would the great aunt lie to her? The answer seemed clear to her. Terry had asked the great aunt to give her that message.

"My God, thought Candy, he really must've hated me!"

She blocked a sob of despair... Her joy was gone and she had doubt. How could Terry be so cruel with her? Didn't he love her at one point? What if she goes, like her mother suggested, seeing Terry to simply ask him the question? That would be the simple solution... But... No! She had to find out if it's really her baby, so she could take her away and ask her father for help to get custody! But she had to find a way to get into Terry's manor without him recognizing her. Terry couldn't have done something like that to her. The Terry she knew couldn't be so cruel. But if she really thought that, then Esther is not her daughter... She absolutely had to find that out by herself. She was going to disguise herself and apply for the governess job, just so she could see Esther...and make sure she's really her daughter. If the little girl looked like her, she was going to see it, if she looked like Terry; she's going to have a DNA test... And if it was her daughter, she was going to fight for custody!

She went back to her mother's. Her decision was made. She got inside the house and the warmth of the heat hit her face. She took he gloves off, then her red coat, and her hat and white scarf, her cheeks were read, she walked towards the living room where she knew her mother was.

- Candy! Are you all right? The fresh air changed your mind? Asked her mother with a little hope in her voice.

- No...

- Candy...

- I have to make sure she's my daughter...

- And then what?

- Then, I'll go see daddy so he could help me get custody of her...

The duke of Grandchester was powerful. For his daughter and his granddaughter, he would be read to do anything... The Andrew Family was also powerful. The looser in all that will be the little girl, stuck in the middle of this fight. She wanted to avoid that if the child was her little girl.

- Candy, you have to speak to Terry...

- No, he lied to me mum...

- What exactly happened again?

Candy didn't like thinking about that horrible time in her life, but she had to talk about it. What she had found out was too important. She told her her what happened. She couldn't stop the tears coming down her cheeks once she finished her story.