Chapter 8

"Jace?"

Jace was lying on his stomach and almost falling asleep when he heard Simon tentatively call his name. "Are you asleep?"

"Jesus, Lewis..." Jace grumbled as he turned to face Simon. "Don't you get tired? We just..."

"Shut up, pretty boy." Simon kicked his legs under the covers. A small smile on his face. "That's not what I wanted to...shut up."

Jace chuckled as he wrapped an arm around Simon's middle, buring his face in his neck. "OK, OK...I'm awake. What's up?"

"Uh..." Simon cracked the fingers on one hand. "I promise I'm not being weird, but why do you...are you sure..." Jace raised his head to look at Simon who avoided his eyes. He was nervous.

"Si..."

"How do you know you love me?" Simon blurted. "I was thinking about Camille and how things ended with us and I was thinking that what if you realize that I'm not exactly a...I mean, I know I can be a lot to get..."

"Hey." Jace sat up. "First of all, I know I love you 'cos I have never felt this way about anyone before. I have never wanted to take care of another person, the way I want to take care of you. I want to chase away the shadows in your eyes. I want to be the one who makes you smile and laugh. I want to make you happy. In case you haven't noticed, I am an asshole, but you make me a better person." Simon turned to look at him, still lying down.

"I don't know what the future will hold, but I know that I don't want to go back to a life without you." He grimaced. "It's super corny, I know. And, if making me watch all seven Harry Potter movies back to back hasn't made me run screaming for the hills, then I think you're stuck with me."

Simon grinned at him. "You still slept off before the last two..."

"Wait, There's more?" Jace's eyes widened. "Damn it, Simon..."

Simon laughed as he sat up. "It's OK, I can just tell you about it."

Jace sighed. "Thank God." He smiled at Simon. "Not that, I don't like them but did they really need to stretch the story?"

"You are lucky I didn't ask you to read the books." Simon deadpanned and Jace groaned.

"Simon..." But Jace smiled as Simon laughed aloud.

"I love you, Simon." Jace said; his tone serious. "It's one of the easiest things I have done. Camille is a bitch, and I'm only mildly offended that you'd compare me to her."

"I wasn't..." Simon started.

"Babe, I'm not going anywhere." Jace said, leaning to kiss him. "Better get used to it."

The kiss started out soft but soon it got heated and impatient. Simon was breathing hard when he pulled away, but he was smiling. "If you are not too tired...?" he wriggled his eyebrows.

"Damn it, Lewis." Jace huffed, dramatically. "Are you trying to kill me?" But he was already pulling him close as he kissed him again.

******

"You two are gross." Alec said in annoyance. Simon smiled as he pulled away from Jace who was nuzzling his neck. "Payback's a bitch, isn't it?"

"I don't know what you are talking about." Alec said; his expression blank.

"Of course you don't."

"I'll have to agree with Simon." Maia said. "I seem to remember a time or two when we actually walked in on you and Magnus...."