Promise!

Chapter 2-

Romano had fallen asleep in Spain's arms before they even got home. The next morning, came like a train. He woke up in fresh, new smelling, dry clothes. His memory of yesterday was kind of all, morphed together. Kind of like the feeling you have when you don't know if it was a dream, or if it really happened. He looked up, and saw Spain's chin on top of his head. He then noticed Spain was holding him as close to him as possible. At first, Romano started to blush a hue only a tomato would have, and was going to push Spain away from him. But...something inside of him told him not to...Instead, it told him to lay there quietly until Spain woke up. Why did Romano suddenly feel the need to look out for Antonio's feelings? He didn't know. But he did know he was to tired to do anything anyway. Not to mention being squeezed by Spain to the point of no return didn't help. So he was going to lay there, until Spain woke up.

But, actually, Spain was already awake. He was just thinking...about whatever spaniards normally think about. But mainly Romano, and why he was so upset at Holy Rome. He was planning on thinking until Romano came and woke him up, but since Romano was waiting for Spain to wake up...uhh ohhh.

It was awhile before Spain realized Romano was actually sleeping for once instead of up and about making trouble. Romano decided he wanted to fall back asleep anyway after he woke up earlier. He had never seen him sleep so close to him, ever, and never did he think he would look so cute. Ever. He quietly laughed to himself, and carefully started to remove Romano from his position. So that he wouldn't drag him along when he got out of bed. Spain hadn't had time to himself in the mornings ever since s.Italy came to live with him. What was there to-do? He was so used to waking up to a shouting kid every weekend morning that he didn't remember what he liked to do before then. What ever it was, he hoped it had something to do with coffee, because that's where he was going. Getting HIS coffee, that HE made. Delicious.

When Romano woke up he could tell that he had slept in more then usual. Which made him feel mad. He hated getting up last on sundays. He usually did a lot more then Spain knew he did in the morning. He got out of bed, more tired then he usually was, and went looking for Spain.

When he found him, he was normally drinking a cup of coffee, strangely enough. Nothing he wouldn't normally do, just, drinking coffee. How boring. Doesn't Spain have anything to do?

"Oh, hello sleepy head! Did you sleep well?" When ever Spain said that it annoyed the crap out of Romano. One of the main reasons he likes getting up first, so he doesn't have to hear that every time he got up.

"*mumble mumble* fine...."

"Good! Now, what would you like for breakfast?"

"........Tomatoes...."

"Oh, but...isn't there something besides that? I made spanish rice yesterday, would you like that again today?"

"No, quiero tomate..." They stared at each other for a few seconds, Spain rolling that phrase around in his head. But never the less, he gave up, and handed Roma-chan a basket of tomatoes. Romano tiredly gripped the basket he handed him, and trudged to the living room. Spain watched him, occasionally sipping his coffee, and was worried about how and when he was going to tell him... Tell him something that would probably shatter his heart, or, at least, make him angry. His response to pretty much anything Spain said or did.

S.italy sat on the floor, with ten tons of weights laying on his heart. He didn't like keeping all of his emotions bottled up inside. He wanted to scream them into Spain's face and make himself known. He felt, if he never ever did it, something horrible would happen. Like, he would die without saying a word. Or, even worse, Spain would leave him... So many unrealistic senerios buzzed thru Romano's head, with him just staring off in the distance, tomato juice running down his chin. He felt...hopeless again.

After Spain finished drinking his coffee, he thought it best to tell S.Italy everything. He recited what he was going to say over and over again in his head, until he had it memorized. 'Romano, I'm going to be gone for awhile.'

But actually, it went something more like this...

Spain walked up to Romano, who looked like he was half asleep, and stood there in a calm way.

"Uhm...Romano?..."

"Mhm?"

"Well, Uhm, I'm going to be...gone for awhile..." Romano's eyes darted open, his worst nightmare was coming true.

"¡WHAT! Y-Y-YOU CAN'T JUST...JUST LEAVE ME HERE!!!...I-...IDIOTA!!!" His outburst didn't really surprise Antonio, just the fact that he sounded more shocked then angry.

"I'm not going to just leave you mi Chico! I would never do that!...I have to take care of some...business problems. But while I do that I have to leave you here. I told Belgium to check up on you once in awhile, so you'll do fine!"

"...it's war again, isn't it?..."

"....Don't worry, I'll be fine, and so will you." Spain kissed Romano's forehead lightly, resulting in him barely rubbing it off. Italy got up from the floor, and followed Spain to wherever he was going.

"W-....when do you leave?" He asked solemnly.

"Tonight." Spain hated to be so blunt, especially towards Romano, but he had to put up a tough front for his sake. Even if he didn't care.

As the day went on, Romano kept slowly dying inside. Knowing that tomorrow Spain wouldn't be there...

Spain quietly got out of bed, trying not to wake Romano. His efforts were fruitless though, because Romano-chan warily grabbed the sleeve of his shirt, knowing this might possibly be the last time he would ever see Spain.

"S-...Spain?" he whispered.

"What is it mi Chico?"

"Promise...promise you will come back..."

"Ah...I will, don't-"

"No!...I-I want you to promise!"

"I, Antonio Fernandez Carriedo, promise to come back." His whispers were soft and kind.

"......N-no matter what?"

He smiled, "Si...no matter what." Romano let go of his sleeve and fell back into a deeper sleep. Spain wished he could just be with him forever, and not have to go to war. But it was something he had to do, and he knew that his Chico would be just fine...

Right before Romano fell fully asleep, he wished for something that his tired little mind thought he needed. 'I....I wish I could be big and......less of a.....burden.....'

And with that, Romano fell asleep, and Antonio threw himself into a hard battle...

(A/N: sorry it's so short! But you know that place you get stuck in right? Where if you don't end the chapter in a curtain spot you cant progress anymore?....thought so...but more will be coming up soon! And a new fanfic as well! ;3 Comment/Vote/Critique/Enjoy! Dedication to cstaron for the idea! ^-^