Chapter 1

I'm not entirely sure when I started to develop a crush on my best friend but, it happened. So here I was, sitting on my bed accompanied by George and trying to figure out when it had all started. I guess it was the Summer of 1960 when him and his band 'The Silver Beetles' left for Hamburg, Germany (later he rang me and told me how the band was now called 'The Beatles'). It was now November of 1960 and George, being underaged, was deported from Hamburg and upset that the band was going on without him.

"Cecilia, I just don't get it" he huffed, and squirmed at little at the foot of my bed.

My room was our usual hang out, unbeknownst to my father, who loved George but not if he was hanging about my room.

"George, you're still part of the band and you can go back to Hamburg when you turn 18. Don't worry."

"Cilia I dunno what I'm gonna do with myself until then" he flopped back onto my bed.

I brushed his mop of hair out of his face and thought about what to say that would make him feel better.

"You can always just hang out with me" I chuckled.

He smiled a bit, acknowledging that I was trying to make him feel better.

"Maybe I can teach you how to play guitar. You hav' to do somethin with that beautiful voice of yours." I felt the heat rise in my cheeks.

"George you know I don't like talking about singing... I'm not as good as you try to convince me I am" I laughed.

He sighed and looked at me.

"What?" I said, as I locked eyes with him.

"You know you have a good voice. Don't be so modest" he smiled.

"Stop" I rolled my eyes and got up from my bed.

"Sorry" he chuckled and got up as well.

"Maybe we should go out and get a cuppa and maybe a bite to eat. I'm starving right now" I suggested.

"Alright."

~~

We sat at a small table beside the window of the cafe talking about what went on in Hamburg and what went on in Liverpool when he was gone. Our waitress brought over tea and the food that we had ordered.

"Hamburg seems so fun. Maybe when you go back I'll take a trip to see you play."

"That'd be awesome. You'd finally get to meet my mates!"

It had always irked me that George had never introduced me to John, Paul, Pete, or Stuart. Maybe I was too much of a drag to hang around.

It was as if George was listening to my thoughts because he blurted out "sorry I've never had you meet them before. I don't trust them to be respectful, especially John. Any bird he sees, he wants to shag em'. I was just nervous."

"Sounds lovely" I laughed.

"But now he has a bird. Her name is Cynthia. She's quite nice" George explained.

"That's good! What about the other lads?"

"Well Paul, he's single and Stuart is dating a girl named Astrid and I'm not really sure about Pete" he shrugged.

"And you?" I asked, even though I knew he would've told me if he was dating.

"Eh. None of the girls that show up to our shows really interest me. I'm more of a Brigette Bardot type. She's a pretty bird."

"Yeah she is" I agreed with him.

I thought to myself, god if he likes Brigitte Bardot then I don't stand a chance. My hair was not blonde, it was a dark brown almost black color. She was stunning and I think every girl in Liverpool wished they were Brigitte.

"I know your type Cilia" he gave me a sly smirk, as if he knew that I fancied him.

"Oh really? Tell me then" I crossed my arms and smiled back at him.

"I'm thinking Gregory Peck."

"Come off it, Harrison! I can't believe you know that" I rolled my eyes.

"Come on I've been your friend since we were age 7, you think I don't know who you crush on?" He laughed at me.

"That's true" I sipped my tea.

"In fact, I think I know who you have a crush on right now" he smirked that stupid little smirk of his.

I embarrassingly spit out my tea.

"You DO?"

"Well I've told you a lot about Macca- I mean Paul and shown you pictures that I've got in an album, you seem pretty keen on him" he winked.

I didn't know I was holding my breath until I let it out.

"Oh lord no George" I shook my head "I haven't even met the guy!"

"Well we should change that then love" he chuckled at my still shocked expression.

"Maybe when you get back to Hamburg" I shrugged.

By agreeing to go on a date with Paul, it made it less obvious that I fancied George.

"Should I ring Paul and ask him on a date for you?"

"Georgeeeee isn't that awkward" I slumped down in my seat.

"Not at all. Just helping a friend out" he smiled.

I cringed. Friend. But it was true. That's all I really was to him and maybe that was a good thing. I didn't want to screw up our friendship by having a crush on him.

"Alright fine" I rolled my eyes.

"Brilliant" he sipped his tea whilst smirking.

~~

I got home a little later than usual and my Mum and Dad were questioning me like mad.

"I was out with George. We got a cuppa and some food. We were chatting for so long I didn't realize what time it was" I sighed.

"Well alright then. Carry on. Get to sleep" my dad nudged me towards the stairs.

I slowly but surely made it up to my room when the telephone in my room started to ring. I picked it up, cursing whoever was calling me right before I went to bed.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Hi um is this Cecilia Rowe?" An unknown voice spoke.

"This is she. May I ask who this is?"

"Paul McCartney. George Harrison's mate. He gave me your number said I should call you" he seemed nervous.

"Oh uh... seems George wants to set us up on a date or something" I laughed.

"Yeah I'm in Hamburg right now" he chuckled.

"Yeah I told George it would be awkward if he were to set us up but the wanker never listens to me. It goes in one ear and out the other."

"Sounds like good old George" he laughed a somewhat nervous laugh.

I heard the door to my room creak open and my mum poked her head in.

"Cecilia, it's time for bed now, tell George to get some rest" she smiled.

"Alright mum" she shut the door "hey Paul I'm sorry I have to go, me mum thinks being up at 9 is being up too late."

I heard him snicker and he said "well alright. We'll continue this when I'm back from Hamburg if that's alright with you?"

"That's alright with me but is it alright with you?" I asked, trying to be funny.

"Well I imagine it's quite alright with me."

"Good. I'll see you when I see you"

"Bye Cecilia" the phone cut out.

~~

Hello everyone!! I've been wanting to write this story for a while but I've never gotten around to it... so here it is! The first chapter is quite short but I promise the following chapters will be a little longer in length. Thanks for reading! (If you actually do😂)

-M