Chapter 3

It was now Friday night and Julie and I were once again getting ready in my room. It was winter yet I was sweating profusely. I couldn't believe I was going to tell George I fancied him tonight. I was so nervous I could feel my heart beating out of my chest.

"Cecilia are you alright?" Julie looked at me strangely.

"I'm nervous" I obviously wasn't a woman of many words tonight.

"Don't be. George is a sweetheart and I'm sure he won't react horribly" she smiled. God I wish I was as peppy as she was in situations like this.

"Yeah, yeah. Let's get on with it" I got up and grabbed my purse and the keys to my mums car.

~~

The line to get into the cavern was tremendously long but, because we knew George and Paul, we got in right away. The cramped underground corridor that was the cavern stunk of cigarettes and booze.

"Jesus Christ" Julie mumbled. It was her first time at the cavern and she wasn't very fond of the stench.

"Next up we have the Beatles!" The announcer spoke.

"Quick let's get to a spot where they can see us" Julie grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the front.

They started to play Some Other Guy and the crowd went nuts. I had forgotten how good they really were. I hadn't seen them preform since '58 and they had gotten a lot better since then. Paul's eyes scanned the room until his gaze fell upon me. His smile grew wide as he saw me. He kept singing but the smile never faded away.

"Jesus Christ Julie I can't do this to Paul" I yelled over the music.

"Who cares just tell him you only want to be mates with him" she yelled back.

I sighed. I didn't know what I was doing at this moment. I just tried to enjoy the music until the night ended.

At the end of the night we met the boys in a back room of the cavern. I was greeted by John Lennon who was surprisingly already drunk.

"Cecilia! Paulie and Geo's girl. That's weird. Two boyfriends" he chuckled.

"Fuck off Lennon" Julie pushed him away.

"Cecilia!" Paul shouted over the mass of people. He finally reached me. He picked me up and swung me around.

"Paul put me down!" I laughed. He put me down and was smiling at me. He leaned in and kissed me. He was a good kisser, I had to admit, but I didn't feel anything when I kissed him. No spark,as everyone says. He pulled away and smirked at me.

"Paul I need to tell you something" I bit my lip.

"What is it love?" He kept smiling.

"I think we should be just friends" I sighed "you're a great guy and I just don't want to break your heart."

"That's understandable. I am pretty great" he smiled.

I hit his arm playfully. Now it was time to get down to business. I was internally freaking out as I walked around looking for George. I found him sulking in the corner of the room. I yelled his name and he looked up. His face lit up when he saw me.

"Cilia" he kept smiling.

"Don't tell me you're drunk too" I laughed.

"Absolutely not" He said in defense.

"I'm joking, I'm joking" I smiled.

"How's paulie, he couldn't stop talking about you" George's face wasn't as lit up as it was when he first saw me. Part of me had a twinge of hope that he liked me back and that's why he was acting all sad in the corner. The other part of me knew that, that wasn't the case.

"About that.... I broke things off with him. Told him I just wanted to be friends" I sighed.

"Jeez Cilia" George laughed "why's that?"

"Well I like someone else" I bit my lip.

"John?!?"

"God no" I scoffed.

"Pete."

"Absolutely not."

"Stuart?"

"Nope."

"So who then?" He raised an eyebrow. Just then our conversation was interrupted by a drunk John Lennon who, begged George to take him home.

"I'm sorry Cilia... can we finish this conversation later? I've gotta bring this bloody fool home" he pouted and helped John walk.

"Yeah that's fine" I spoke quietly, feeling defeated.

I watched George leave the cavern with John and Julie ran up to me.

"So did you do it? Or did he just leave without you two speaking" she grilled me.

"I was about to tell him but then fucking Lennon interrupted our conversation" I sighed.

"Fucking Lennon" she rolled her eyes.

~~

I drove Julie home and then drove back to my house. I saw someone sitting on my steps and was slightly scared to approach them.

I got out of my car and realized it was George. My heart started thumping out of my chest again as I walked up to him.

"What are you doing here" I laughed.

"Well I saw that your mum and dad weren't home so I figured I'd wait for you and we could finish our conversation" he grinned.

"Alright let me just unlock the front door."

I let George in and he made a descent up to my room. I silently freaked out and left my mums keys on the table by the door.

I made my way up to my room and George was sprawled out on my bed, asleep.

"Oh my god" I whispered to myself. I didn't want to wake him so I slowly got onto my bed and laid next to him.

I felt his arms wrap around me and he buried his head into my neck. I smiled to myself as my eyes started to get heavy.

~~

I woke up the next morning with George wrapped around me. I didn't know what to do until he woke up because I couldn't move without waking him. I closed my eyes for a bit until I heard him mumble my name. His eyes fluttered open and he looked at me surprised.

"Did I fall asleep here" he said rubbing his eyes.

"Yeah you came over so we could talk. Then you went upstairs and I found you sprawled out on my bed asleep" I chuckled.

"Ah yes. Sounds like me" he smiled "your bed is rather comfortable."

"Well thank you" I smiled.

"Now were you gonna tell me who you actually fancied?" He sat up and looked at me.

My heart dropped.

"Uh yeah" I laughed.

"Alright go on" he kept looking at me.

"I- um- I" I stumbled over my words.

"Spit it out" he laughed.

"I fancy..."

"Who Cilia?!"

"You!" I threw myself face first onto my bed.

"What?"