Chapter Eight: The Disappearing Act

The Disappearing Act

It appeared that I had broken more then just my wrist, with a fractured thumb that had popped out of it's joint, and well the doctors said more but I was more focused on my hand that was going numb them what they were saying. It wasn't a pleasant or good feeling to not have the functions of my good hand. I didn't even know how I was supposed to write, sign my name, or anything as it was the same hand I used for everything.

The doctor said it had been a close call from needing more than just a cast. He said if the bones weren't healing in the way that he needed them to with just a cast that I was going to have to get a surgery done, something that I did not or did I need. He also recommended me to return in a week so they can make sure that the cast still fits even after the swelling went down.

Because returning after he told me I might need surgery sounded like such a great idea. That stupid no good mind-reading vampire was the reason that I got this. It was his fault for letting my hand collide with his rock hard face.

"Daddio!" I called out as a grin spread across my face.

They had give me some type of painkiller. I would've like to say that it didn't effect me but that would be a lie. Whatever they had given me made things seem funnier then it was, like my father coming through the door looking completely worried and slightly angry.

Maybe he heard about me punching Edward.

"What happened? I heard you got into a fight at school?" Charlie said, causing me to laugh. "It's not something to laugh about Renee. Do you have any idea what I was thinking when I got a phone call that said that one of my daughters were in the hospital once again!" He demanded.

"I'm fine, see? I have a cast and everything, daddio." I said finding it hard to keep the laughter from bubbling over. "And I wouldn't really call it a fight. You can't fight a brick wall." I stated.

You couldn't fight with a brick wall and that was what Edward Cullen was. I should've remembered that before I attempted to give him a good human like punch.

"Where's the doctor? Why are you laughing? Did you hit your head too?" He asked looking around to find me sitting alone in the room still.

"You're worried." I giggled my grin widening.

"Of course I'm worried." Charlie said, letting out a sigh. "Stay here. Don't move a muscle while I go find your doctor."

"Okay." I agreed going back to staring at my wrist.

They hadn't discharged me yet. I wasn't sure why they were waiting to do it. Maybe because it wouldn't be wise for me to drive myself home or maybe it was because they were waiting for my father to come. I'm not sure.

Whatever the reason I was sure that I would be told eventual.

The events after that all kind of blurred together for me. Charlie had came back with the doctor, signing papers or doing something that allowed me to be free of the hospital before leading me to his police car. I was sure he would came back later with someone to get my car so I wasn't worried about leaving it.

Leaving the hospital the car ride was silent as we made it home where there was only one car out front of the house. Charlie had to help me in side as I still couldn't control the laughter that bubbled out of me and I kept getting distracted rather easily. Inside we came across Geoffrey who was talking a nap and John who jumped to his feet when he caught sight of me and Charlie.

The stairs weren't really tricky or hard to get a handle on as it wasn't my feet that were broken and there wasn't much inside that could distract me or make me laugh. Well, that crack in the wall could but Charlie managed to get me past that without too much difficulty and into my room. There he helped me into bed, making sure that my shoes weren't on before placing the covers over me and telling me to rest.