Chapter 2 - Training

"Yeah?" I raise an eyebrow.

"We should start with the basics. You've only shown me your summoning and teleporting, which still needs some work, so let's find someplace with a lot of hiding spots."

"What? Are we gonna go play hide and seek?"

"Precisely~" He raises a hand and clicks his fingers. Our surroundings morph and I look around in awe as the sidestreet turns into a warehouse with crates everywhere. (I'm imagining the one from Prop Hunt as I write this XD)

As the blue glow disappears from the area, I speak up. "You know there was a warehouse down the street, right?"

"But this was more fun." Marvin turns his head to look at me and I see his eyes crinkle happily from inside his mask.

I smile back and start walking away to look around.

"Scope out the area first then we'll start." I nod at his instructions as I continue on my search.

3 Minutes Later

I start walking back to the area I left Marvin in, only to see that he's not there anymore.

"Guess we're starting already." I mumble, getting into position to make a run for the far left of the building, only to be stopped by an invisible force pulling me back.

"Remember: teleport." The force lets up quickly and I fall to the ground.

"Hmph." I cross my arms before pushing myself up and then dusting myself off.

"Get ready..."

I stand still as a statue, listening to Marvin.

"Go!"

I start by searching inside myself for my teleportation knowledge, then putting it to use by bringing myself to the left corner of the building, farthest from the opening.

It was dark and hard to see.

"Try making light with your hand or something. Doesn't matter how big, so long as it's bright enough to let you see."

I grumble profanities in return and focus on my hand. After a while, a small flicker of green light appears on my ring finger, disappearing almost immediately after.

"I did it?"

"Not enough. Either keep trying or teleport somewhere else."

I look up from my hand and focus on the opposite corner. There are loads more crates here, making it the perfect spot to hide, but it's, once again, too dark.

I decide to stick to what I know and make my eye start glowing green.

"There ya go!" Marvin yells out, and I realize his voice seems much closer now.

"But you said-"

"I know what I said, but that's the point. Do what you deem comfortable. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise."

I nod in acknowledgement, finally being able to see my surroundings properly. I look to my left and see a small gap in the crates. A smile appears on my face as I take a big step in, then disappear in a cloud of green.

I quietly appear in the very back of that space, watching a very confused Marvin from behind. I glitch forward and grab his arms, only for him to whirl around and throw me to the ground, sitting on top of me.

"Gotcha." I say as his face goes soft once he realizes it's me. It suddenly hardens again as I flip us over and cross my arms on his chest. He pushes at me but I don't budge.

"Well played~" Marvin smirks, clicking his fingers and making me fall flat on my stomach as he teleports from under me and stands between my legs from behind.

"But not well enough." He whispers in a harsh tone so I can hear him. When I look up, his face is shadowed over and his hands are behind his back. I can see a slight evil-ish grin as he tilts his head to the right.

I push myself up into a sitting position so I can get a good look at him. "Marvin?"

"Get up. We have a lot of work to do if you want to even be able to beat me: a sucky magician."

"You're still on about that?" I roll my eyes. "I thought you forgave me."

"Get up." Marvin repeats with more edge to his tone. "Get up and go outside. You don't need to know why, just do it."

"Alright, alright." I stand up and slowly walk to the door, slouching.

"HURRY." Marvin shouts. I jump in fright, look back at him, and teleport outside.

Outside is different now. It's coming into early morning and the sun is rising over the top of a building in the distance.

The sight is interrupted by a huge crash behind me, followed by bright blue lights, as the warehouse melts away, leaving Marvin standing in the middle with a smug grin on his face.

"Show-off!" I call to him, cupping my hands around my mouth to make my voice travel farther, then turning around and walking to the bench that appeared.

"Well, that wasn't a very productive night." Marvin says, appearing behind me. My reflexes tell me to whack him, but I control it, balling my hands into fists instead.

"That's not my fault. You didn't give me proper instructions."

"I helped you however I could. This is a learning experience."

"Well, you're not a very good teacher." I snarl, baring my fangs ever-so-slightly.

"Moving on~" Marvin mumbles, walking away, hands behind his back again. "Let's get you home."

○○○○

A/N: I'm obsessively listening to Jack's cover if Chop Suey over and over again. It's so good!

Anyway, sorry this took so long to get out. I've been busy a lot with art and shit and, as much as I love the idea for this story itself, I don't have anymore ideas to be able to continue it :(

I'm trying, I really am. Soon.