10: The Fall Festival

A/n: I couldn't find a good picture of Xu Jun that fits my requirements :( This is the closest I can get so I apologize ❤️ Enjoy!

Several weeks later, Xu Jun had suddenly invited her out to the fall festival. Since their last interaction, they had not spoken to each other. Jufen would still scowl when she thinks of him, but he was not too bad. He does not treat her in a wrongful manner, so she decided to give him some face and accept his invitation.

Jufen dressed in a simple but elegant style today. She wore a plain white robe with a large red belt. On the side, hung a green jade and a red charm. With half of her hair up and adorned with a simple dark pink chrysanthemum flower, she gave a youthful feeling. She had used some light red rouge at the end of her eyes and eyebrows.

Today, she did not wear a veil. It was time for her to slowly reveal herself. Around this season, Xu Jun will head back to the military before coming back near spring. It was also because of this trip, that the Emperor bestowed him the title 'Duke of the Second Rank.'

In order to ensure that Xu Jun raises his reputation to gain support, she has to play her part as his betroth. This was only the first step. She would not let history repeat. If he had garner enough power from supporters, perhaps the Xu family would not have mysteriously disappeared.

This time, no servants were accompanying Jufen. Xu Jun was already in the carriage so she just had to enter before departure. He was wearing a dark blue robe with a similar sash. In a high pony tail, his black hair is loosely held up by a golden crown and a matching hair pin. It was casual yet dignified.

When Jufen entered, he raised his eyebrows. In his eyes, Jufen was dressed in a very tempting way. The sash only enhances her curves, which he was well aware of. Though Jufen had not dressed in a provocative way, the red color was very alluring. He frowned when she did not even bring a veil.

Noticing the chrysanthemum in her hair, he finally displayed a small smile. Jufen felt that Xu Jun was acting weird. He was looking coldly at her but now he suddenly smiled? What's wrong with him?

Jufen ignored his weird temperate and sat directly across from him and went straight to the point, "Why did General Xu Jun suddenly invite Jufen out?"

"This general wants to take one last look at his wife before leaving tomorrow," Xu Jun shamelessly said. His statement was very blunt. If Jufen had not known about his mischievousness, she would've mistaken his meaning for genuine feelings.

"Who's your wife? You're making it seem like you won't make it out alive," Jufen had a neutral face while maintaining eye contacts with him. Of course, he would not know that he would return alive. Xu Jun said nothing and only had an indifferent smile.

"It's not bad to spend time with my wife. When we were younger, you would always ask me to bring you out."

Jufen frowned, "It is already in the past. Why bring it up?"

He mildly shrugged, "Why not?"

Jufen fell silent and turned to look outside instead.

When they got off the carriage, Xu Jun held her hand. She pulled her hand back as a reflex but he tightened his grip on her wrist. Jufen subconsciously let out a small cry and he immediately let go to examine her. Around her pale wrist was four red rings forming.

Frowning, he murmured, "You're so fragile and bruise so easily,"

She ripped her hand away from his and rubbed them with her other hand, "You just use too much force."

"Okay, okay. Xiao Hua, I was wrong." Xu Jun chuckled a little before reaching for her hand again, gently. "Come on, hold my hand so I don't lose you."