12: The Black Zither's Tune

Towards the end of the banquet, the Emperor had suddenly asked for a participant to come up for the last performance.

Many unmarried maidens stirred at their opportunity to stand out and anticipated excitedly for a royal to nominate them. When one wants to perform, they have to be suggested by an imperial family first before a vote is conducted.

The magnificent Empress turned towards the Emperor and said in a sweet voice, "Your Majesty, how about Li Ran? She plays the zither well."

At the mention of her name, Li Ran's face blossomed into a bashful smile. The Empress had adored the girl since she was young and even planned to wed her to her son, Ye Feng. Though he was the Empress's son, he was not the crown prince as he has yet to qualify for that position.

"Zither? If I remember correctly, Prime Minister's daughter, Chen Jufen played the zither quite well two years ago. I can still hear the harmonious strings even today."

The one who praised and chuckled afterwards was the third prince, Ye Yuan. Jufen nearly choked on the melon cake in her mouth. She inwardly scowled and cursed at the prince. All she wants to do is to go home.

Li Ran started to fall a little but she didn't lose hope. They both had equal votes...until Ye Zheng spoke up.

"Lady Chen Jufen? The beauty in the green dress? En. Zheng remembers her beautiful skills," he said in a flirtatious tone, making others shake their head. The Emperor simply ignored his remark. Though his worlds weren't untrue, it was way too direct and impolite.

"Li Ran's skills are comparable..." but not better, voiced the fourth prince. He only pitied the girl siting near the Empress.

Two against two votes. Li Ran held onto her stiff smile, hoping that maybe Ye Feng would vote for her as well.

Her dreams were shattered to pieces when Ye Feng's gentle voice resounded against the imperial walls, "Lady Chen indeed has impressive zither skills. Feng wishes to hear it again."

The Emperor recalls the Spring Banquet two years ago and nodded in agreement, "Zhen also remembers it. May Lady Chen do us a favor and exhibit your exquisite skills once again?"

The Empress suppressed the disappointment and displeasure in her eyes. Li Ran's face twisted in anger and jealousy as she shot a dagger look at Jufen. Meanwhile, Jufen scoffed at the unbelievable imperial family. And what does Ye Feng remember! To whom was he lying to? She just wants to sleep! God forbids her to have a peaceful evening!

Fine! She'll just entertain this old man on account of his kindness in her last life.

Jufen maintained her unresponsive visage and stood up to reply respectfully, "This lowly one does not deserve. This one will do the honor to play so hopes that your majesty and imperial family does not laugh at this one's poor skills."

Her soft voice echoed in the large hall as she elegantly walked out to the front and performed a proper bow. She sat before an extraordinary black zither that was carved by a master and strung with only the best. As she touched the zither with her hands, it sung back to her. She took a deep breath.

Then, she played.

The melody travels far and wide, luring the audience into a trance. It was like a lullaby; sweet yet intoxicating. Even the ones that despises her could not help but fall into deep hypnosis.

The entire time, Ye Feng kept his eyes on her while she gracefully played. Honestly, he does not remember her being this well versed in zither. He just wanted to hear her play, thus he chose her. Once again, he was stunned then bitter. The nonchalance in her eyes were charming, as if she has no care for the world.

As if she doesn't care to be in his presence.

After she ended the last tune, the Emperor was the first to applaud then the rest followed. Her father and the Xu family beamed with pride. The Emperor looked serene during her performance and was greatly pleased.

"Chen Jufen, your talents are vast and wide. Zhen was very touched by your wonderful play. Servants, come gift this zither to her!" The Emperor laughed heartily, clearly in a good mood while the Empress widen her eyes in horror.

"Your Majesty, this zither was the left by the previous Emperor as a gift—"

"Empress, Imperial father had given this to me. Zhen do not even play. Additionally, such talents are supposed to be paired with an exquisite instrument."

The Empress bitterly smiled and nodded reluctantly. Li Ran was already fuming by this point. She burned with jealousy and hatred for Jufen. Not only did she steal her opportunity and was gifted a rare zither, she had also caught several princes's attention—including her Ye Feng! She was already an engaged woman, so why must she take everything away from her? Why must she be so greedy?

Jufen paid no heed to the jealous glares towards her direction while she happily accepted the gift and gave her sincere thanks. It seems like her efforts were not in vain! She had gained a treasure tonight so she quietly hummed with bliss.

By the time they arrived home, it was far too late for her to remember before she passed out.

Time passed like sand flowing through an open hand. During this time, Jufen and Bai Lan grew quite close. Sometimes they talk endlessly, other times they say nothing at all. Their hang outs included theater acting, singing operas, story telling, sky watching, sitting by a pavilion, bird feeding, and sometimes just sleeping.

Gu Meiyue saw this as an opportunity to grasp onto another ladder so she tried to gain Bai Lan's favor as well. Unfortunately, Bai Lan had immediately sensed her false facade and her malicious motives thus avoided her like a contagious plague.

"Why do you even bother with that girl?" Bai Lan asked with annoyance, clearly upset. Recently, she had bumped into Meiyue on the streets and had been pestered by her the entire day. She had to literally run to escape her tight grasp.

"If I say that in about a year and a half, there would be a good show to watch...would you want to attend?" Jufen lowered her eyes and smiled gently, which contrasted with her cruel words.

Understanding what Jufen meant, Bai Lan turned to her with anticipation in her sparkling eyes. She wiggled her refined eyebrows excitedly, making Jufen laugh loudly.

"You devious fox! Tell me, what did you do? Wait. No, do not tell me. I want to see this myself first."

Again, she laughed. The two shared a cunning look before giggling. Perhaps, she had found another treasure in this lifetime.