Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Elena closed the door. Damon and Elena faced the strangers in their home. Elena stared hard at the Winchesters, trying to wrap her mind around everything she had learned. Fight supernatural evil for a living. Nothing in return. No payment whatsoever.

"You hunt monsters?"

"Yep." Dean replied.

"You're joking, right?" Damon said.

"Nope."

"How?" Damon asked. "You don't earn anything at all."

"Not always honest ways." Sam replied.

"You said you were going to kill me." Damon said.

"Might kill. Depending on how you test out."

"Well how exactly are you going to test him?" Elena asked with concern. She spun her daylight ring nervously on her ring finger. Sam eyed it curiously.

"I think I know what to do." Sam answered for Dean. Dean gave him a look when he took out the machete hidden by his jacket.

"Sam, what are you doing? We have the dead man's blood, remember?"

"Something's different. I don't know, it's like I can feel it somehow." Sam said as he sliced his arm.

Elena and Damon tensed, seeing the blood rush out of Sam's arm. The smell was intimidating. The blood trickled down Sam's arm. Elena could almost taste it.

"Your eyes." Sam breathed.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Elena said.

"You're face says a different story." Dean said.

"I didn't even know about the party until you told us." Elena said.

"No, no, no. No!" Dean responded making a face. "If you're admitting what I thing you are let me see your gums."

"My gums?" Elena and Damon traded confused looks.

"Vampire fangs don't just pop out of the top your gums." Damon retorted.

"Yeah, actually. They do. There's holes in vampires' gums where their fangs are." Dean explained.

"Nothing there. See?"

"There's something really different in this town. About everything." Sam said. "You guys are vamps, aren't you?"

"Sam, they don't have-"

"This is Mystic Falls, remember?"

"The way you got defensive when we mentioned testing you. The way you crave blood." Sam showed Elena his bleeding arm and she backed away. "Maybe Eve made some vampires differently."

"Eve? Who's Eve?" Elena asked.

"You're a vampire and you don't know the first thing about Eve?" Dean asked.

"Eve goes back to Biblical times. She's also known as The Mother of All or just The Mother. She's the one who created a lot of the things Dean and I go after. Vamps, Lycanthropes, Changelings, shifters. She created the Alphas where all individual creatures spread out from."

"Damon and I-. Are you sure we can trust you? No one can find out about us. Not everyone in this town is so friendly."

"Yes." Sam answered with confidence.

"Damon and I have met what you call alphas. We call them The Originals or The Old Ones. Their mother created them through a lot of not so good magic."

"Magic?" Sam and Dean traded confused looks.

"Esther was a crazy nut, but I would have died a long time ago if it wasn't for her." Damon said.

"How old are you?" Sam asked.

"Sam..."

"Just asking."

"172. Turned 1864."

"Wow." Dean said. "I don't know how to respond to that."

"I am young forever." Damon said. "Besides, I can do..." He paused to look at Elena. "Almost anything I want."

"Now that we can trust you, here." Elena cut her wrist and motioned for him to drink some.

"How do we know we can trust you?" Sam watched in awe as Elena's wrist healed without a scar.

"Well give you jewelry with vervain in it that protects you from mind control. You can trust us because vervain burns to the touch if you're a vampire." She cut her wrist again. "Try not to die in 24 hours or you'll come back as one of us." She smiled sheepishly at Sam.

"I'm fine, thanks."

"He doesn't have a good history of blood drinking. And I don't mean vampires." Dean explained.

"Elena, did you know Bethany personally?" Sam asked.

"No." Elena replied. "I would talk to her sometimes. She was a sophomore." Elena placed a dry washcloth on Sam's arm. "Why don't you ask around town? Someone in this town knew her better than I did."

"Thanks." Sam said, pressing the cloth to his arm. He took his red striped tie off and wrapped it around the cloth to hold it in place. He pulled down his sleeves to cover it.

"No one that I know knew this girl, so if you find anything, tell us."

"We will." Sam replied before heading out the door. ***

"Well that was... really weird." Dean said, starting up the car.

"Yeah." Sam agreed. "Let's go ask around town."

To be continued