Chapter 11

"It's not enough that she should die aunt, she must suffer- suffer!!"

"What else do you want me to do, I've already beaten her to the brink of death! You know I'm not allowed to conduct personal punishments, anything beyond this the Department of Justice won't be able to turn a blind eye to it, even if I am the Empress. The only thing that's left to do is turn her over to them, they will record a death penalty for her and that will be the end of things."

"No it's not enough, it's not enough! I want to rip off her skin and tear off all her fingernails. And boil her and eat her, give her to me, aunt!"

"Don't be crazy. You're not even a member of the Imperial Heavens, Tingting, not yet. Is it not enough that servant girls are always walking around with cursed deformities just because they happen to have accidentally crossed the Third Prince's path, and now you want to kill one yourself? What will people think of their future Empress behaving in this manner?"

"I don't care- I don't care-!!"

"Lady Yuting, Empress please calm yourselves. It wouldn't do to harm your bodies over some wretched servant girl. As for the problem at hand I have an idea, perhaps."

"Zimei, what is it?"

"All the Princess wants is for the fox demon to suffer a painful death, is that not right? Nothing so easy as jumping off the Endless Cliff, which is likely what the Department of Justice will arrange. Then why not, instead of asking him for the death penalty, ask him to send her to obtain the Dream Peach?"

"The Dream Peach? What is that?"

"Tingting what have I told you about studying more about other realms? The Dream Peach is one of the creations of the Elder Emperor. It is said that consuming it will allow you to control your dreams, so much so that you can see or feel anything you wish."

"I don't understand! What does this have to do with the servant girl dying a horrible death?!"

"I haven't finished yet. The Elder Emperor's methods was always strange... once made, he spread the word of its existence on an isle in the Mystic Realm. But to guard it he placed a Nightmare being."

"A nightmare being?! What is that? Is that a demon?"

"It is not a demon but an ancient monster that now no longer exists except in that place. Initially when peach's existence became known, many immortals sought to obtain it. Who doesn't mind seeing whatever they wish for, anytime they want? But one by one, each of their bodies washed up in the Ocean of Abandon that surrounds the Isle; mutilated, deformed. No one lived to tell the tale. Eventually they realized it was all a trick by the Elder Emperor, to trick the greedy into revealing themselves."

"I understand! If we were to send the fox demon there she's sure to suffer a fate worse than death. It is exactly what I want for her and what she deserves."

"Yes... yes indeed. Zimei, you are clever. If not for you I might never have thought of the Peach. Very well, go the Department of Justice now and let him know my wishes."

"Yes, Empress."

"Aunt... has Yuezhen said anything more about the wedding?"

"How can he when the last time you saw him you smashed his table and cracked his wine cup?"

"But it is only because.. Only because I like him so much! Why must he always make me so angry!? Why can't he just... love me..."

The last thing Ruyi remembered hearing as she lay curled up on the floor in a puddle of her own blood was the Empress' bitter laughter.

"Love...? One day you will understand Yuting, that love is not important. Even without love you can keep them beside you, bind them to you, and make them unable to live without you..."