Chapter Thirty Nine

MADISON

I find a pair of blue eyes that I eventually find hard to focus on along with a smile full of little white teeth.

"Alison?" I say with my voice forced and hoarse.

"Daddy she woke up!" she shouts making me jump before she runs out and that's what really wakes me up. I look around to find my reflection on the mirrors that surround me. Why am I in the lab? When did I get here?

I am connected once more to an IV that drops a transparent fluid into my body through my wrist. I have a black bracelet that has several little blinking lights. On the mirror next to me I find out that my hair is a complete mess, my skin has a yellow tinge and that Im wearing a hospital dress.

"Morning sunshine," Wen enters the room with Alison next to him. Wait. He enters with Alison so she previously had gotten out... how? He stands next to me and checks on the bag with the liquid, then take out a syringe.

"No," I say hiding my arms and that makes him look at me raising his brows. "You are not doing anything to me." Talking ends up being hard as I have to force my voice for the words to get out.

"It just has to get red," says Alison and when I look her. Wen takes advantage of it to take my arm. "It doesn't hurt," says Alison right when the needle punctures my skin.

It hurts.

"Well done Ali, that's how we do it," Wen congrats her and takes out the needle changing it for a wet cotton. "It wasn't that hard right?" he says and takes my blood with him.

"Look," says Alison climbing up and crawling quickly to reach me. It surprises me to see that she's wearing denim shorts and a green blouse with a butterfly on it, instead of the white clothes she usually has on her. She shows me her arms and I don't see anything. Anything. I don't get what's going on.

"Surprise," Dylan is the next one to get in, followed by my mother and Sarah.

"Welcome back," says Sarah and leans to give me a kiss on my forehead.

"Where did I go?" is all I am able to ask but everyone just look at each other. "What's going on?"

"You slept too much!" Alison is the only one that replies and my mother makes a sign for Sarah to take her out.

"Let's go with the puppy Ali," she says taking her on her arms and she nods excited before leaving. Dylan follows them after telling me to get better and giving me a kiss on the cheek.

"Mom?" I ask and when she looks at me I think she's about to cry.

"We won," she tells me. "Now shes an official American citizen," she explains and I nod, smiling.

"That's good news, she seems happy," I say and she nods before a tear travels down her cheek.

"She's a sweet child, you were just like her," she says before her voice breaks and my father and Wen join us. This time the crystal door closes behind them.

"What's going on?" I say with a lump in my throat. My mother just keeps crying.

"You are sick," Wen begins to say when nobody else decide to do it. "At the prom, your heart stopped working how it was supposed to, so your blood wasn't circulating the way it should have been till you fell unconscious." I frown. I can't remember anything. As far as I know I was just dancing with Dylan and suddenly appeared here. "We got you back with this machine," he points up at the Signefrex. "But you are still too weak. You slept for two complete days."

"Why?" I ask.

"We don't know, your immune system is very weak now. We don't know if it is a virus or a disease, we don't know," says my mother and Wen nods along with my father. "But this explains the fever, the faints and the tiredness." I nod without anything else to say. What else am I supposed to do? I can't do anything against it, it's not like my body would suddenly recover just for thinking of it.