Princess Lesson #1

Melinda and Trixie walked into the alleyway, waiting for Mia and Clarisse. "We're gonna be late!" Trixie insisted.

Mia and Clarisse eventually started walking down the stairs. "So, I'm gonna be 16 this year, and my mom traded two paintings to get me a 1966 Mustang. You know what a Mustang is, right?" They made it to the bottom of the stairs and started walking side-by-side.

"I raise mustangs. That is not a sensible car for a princess," she informed.

"It's not a sensible car for anyone. See, it doesn't run."

"I suppose I could donate something to this vehicle." Clarisse turned to Trixie who was putting on tennis shoes, skateboard in hand. "And what about you, Bellatrix?" she asked. 

Trixie stood straight. "I handle my own fees." Her eyes were narrow in an almost-glare.

Melinda stood beside her, sympathetic. 

"Good morning, Mr. Robutusen," Trixie bade.

"Who is this gentleman?" Clarisse asked, gesturing to the rude neighbor.

"Our neighbor, but you wouldn't want to meet him. He doesn't have very nice manners," Mia whispered.

Clarisse smiled nonetheless. "Good morning," she bade as well. "There's someone I want you to meet." She held out her arm, gently pushing Mia.

"OK," Mia consented.

They all walked toward the road when Trixie stopped in her tracks. "Whoa. ... You have two limousines?" she asked.

Clarisse kept guiding Mia forward. "One is for you girls."

"Do you raise limos, too?" Mia asked.

"No!" she laughed. "Amelia,Bellatrix , this is Joseph."

Joseph bowed, but Mia held out her hand. "Hi, nice to meet you." They shook hands. 

They all turned to Trixie who simply nodded silently. 

Clarisse turned to Melinda. "And I don't believe we've had the pleasure." 

"Oh," Trixie remembered. She turned to Melinda. "Mel, Queen Clarisse Renaldi," she introduced without accenting her surname. She turned to Clarisse. "Miss Renaldi, Melinda Halliwell." 

They shook hands. "I'd like it if Joseph could drive you girls to school." 

Melinda looked at Trixie who shook her head. "Arrive at school in a limo? So, you want to draw attention to us?" she asked sarcastically. She briskly walked across the street and got on her skateboard. 

*

After school, the girls were walking to Trixie's studio and talking. 

"So, once this ball passes, you're really going to go back to pretending you grandmother doesn't exist and not think about you father?" Melinda asked incredulously. 

"He wasn't my father," Trixie insisted. 

"Yes, he was."

"Biologically, yes, but I never met the man." 

"Be fair: He sent you a card and gift every year on your birthday and they were beautiful presents. Remember the apothecary cabinet?" 

"That was nice. And he paid for my school tuition," Trixie slowly came 'round. 

"Yeah," Melinda agreed whole-heartedly. 

"Still I can't have it both ways. I'm either a witch or a princess. Witch - no social life. Princess - I strip my powers."