Chapter 2

Adrian tossed his feet onto the coffee table, a bowl of cereal cradled in his lap. Madelyn was in the kitchen making herself a cup of coffee. Then she joined him in the living room.

"Thinking of another tattoo?" said Madelyn as she took a sip of her warm coffee, that she placed on the table. Today, it looked like she was up to something to do with Anarchists, the ones that remained Cyanide, Queen Bee, The Detonator, Phobia. She scrolled through them, on her laptop and paused on Cyanide.

"What are you doing?" He asked peering over her shoulder.

"Going through the deal that Cyanide had made with us," I said.

"How'd you get access to those files?" He asked. Madelyn gave him the 'seriously' look.

"There's always a hidden meaning behind his words" the news reporters kept rambling on arguing if what the Renegades did today was righteous or not. Madelyn shut her computer and turned to look at him.

"I've watched for the last hour, and me being an expert at body language, I think we both know that there's something you're not telling me," said Madelyn. Adrian sighed in defeat his sister had figured him out. "You're the Sentinel, aren't you?"

"I'll tell you if you tell me why you keep looking at a picture of Leroy Flinn," said Adrian.

"You know I used to have a crush on him, even though he was an Anarchist before he harmed you," said Madelyn. "But he keeps getting to me in ways, no matter what. Your turn, spill"

"I've been giving myself powers using art genesis, the first was fire manipulation, then it was anti-gravity jumping, next came the suit—"

"Let me guess, next comes lasers or light beam," said Madelyn sitting up on the couch.

"Please don't tell anyone," said Adrian. Madelyn sighed, her face softened. She spun her pen in her finger as pondered what to do.

"Promise, no one will know. As long as you tell no one about my thing with Leroy Flinn" said Madelyn. "As long as you masquerade around as the Sentinel, I'll be with you as the Dark Phoenix"

"They'll start investigating into you," said Adrian.

"Let them, they'll never know it's me," said Madelyn. "I promise, we'll find out about who killed your mother"

~~~~~~
Nova gasped and pulled back, peering over the edge of the train car. The tracks were on fire.

No— it was two columns of flame shooting out from the shadows. Frostbite cursed and drew back, spinning towards the tunnel as heavy footsteps charged of the wall.

Nova's jaw dropped as they came into view, his armored suit and her small suit, which was covered in blue, red, orange flames climbing up the outfit.

The Sentinel and The Dark Phoenix.

"Much as I would love to see each of these villains behind bars," he said, his voice steady and low.

"Something tells me the Council wouldn't approve of your methods of arresting them," said The Dark Phoenix.

"And who are you?" said Frostbite "the Council's lapdogs?"

"That's funny," said Dark Phoenix. "I've often thought the same of you"

Nova relaxed her hold on the gun. She could see her suspicion mirrored on Frostbite's face. Her words suggested that she knew her, and not in a generic has-seen-her-in-the-papers sort of way.

"We are here on official Renegade business," said Frostbite "if you try to stop us, we'll be plenty happy to arrest you two"

A gauntlet of orange-tipped flames began to lick around Sentinel's left hand. "You're not the only one on official Renegade business. The difference is I take my orders directly from the Council itself" Nova scooted over to find herself staring at the chest plate of his armor. Was it a trick of the dim or the angle of the top of the train car?