02

a/n: I am on my summer holiday so sorry for the long update!

I thought about it again because he hadn't answered at that time. When I saw his eyes, it was indistinct. I felt no solace at the time I talked with him, and every silence sent a shiver to my bones.

When we parted, the intercom had called my name, and a cluster of people gave me eagle eyes as my soul washed with vengeance. My feet took on long strides to avert the glowers that shot at me. I thought about things I did, if I did any wrongs or maybe, just maybe, I might have done something ethical and will be rewarded. As likely as not, I think that would seldom happen. The possibility was low, and the campus wouldn't have done this, I knew it would be a waste of time for them.

Then, as I felt the humiliation sink into me, my feet were taken back at intervals disregarding the fact that the glares made me cringe. As I passed a corridor that stood amidst of the main hall and the dorm, a line of military officers walked in an aced formation. But, unlike what happened on a daily basis, they had looked at me with their heads tilting by a whisker, perhaps a face of confusion.

--

As soon as I emerged in the main hall, a gentleman wearing the finest suit appeared before me, his hair, what I heard, was an ideal hairstyle for all men in the dorms. Then I studied his eyes, I became aware of the ash-grey that beamed under the artificial lights that stuck on the ceiling. It never existed in the Quilteme Sect. "Xeavva 001. How are you?" He asked, giving me a wide grin. Was he one of the rich? Was he from the high-class? What did he want me for?

"I'm well enough to be alive, of course." I said, unaware of trouble I would get into. He brought out a light laugh before the silence closed in on us. "Go ahead and sit." And so, I sat, the military cuffed my hands together, and stood beside me, one on the left and the other on the right.

The lull between every reply was awkward, but I didn't dare to speak after his response. When he had enough of the tense muteness, the man directed me to a dishelveled chair in the core of the main hall. The hall was inaudible and it was deviant to me. In fact, it was amply quiet that you could hear a pin drop from blocks away. Next to me, the military still stood until they soon left after the man told them somethhing I couldn't apprehend.

"Xeavva."

"Yes," I said, the temperature of the room was frigid, and I was surprised because I hadn't felt chilly in years. My hands were on my lap, and still cuffed together so I could not do any harm. "You are taking a job that your parents have done."

When I heard the word 'parents', I turned my head to him. "Parents? They had jobs?"

"Of course," He said. "Your parents were dead. They were dead when you were born. There were several files, and we had seen them. Perhaps, you thought wrong."

My eyes were wide, and I creased a brow. "Then, did I have any guardians after they died?"

"According to files, you died with them. A couple claimed that everyone in their household name died. But then, when you were given to the Quilteme Campus, you were an unknown baby in the hands of the couple who had said you were dead. We had tested your deoxyribonucleic acid and we figured who you were. Do you remember when the military called you into the Synthetics Room last year?"

"No."

"Well, you were, and we tried to figure out your family's deoxyribonucleic acid. Since your family's papers were burnt, it was tough to recognize your deoxyribonucleic acid."

"Um, what's deo- whatever that was?"

"Oh, deoxyribonucleic acid? It's DNA."

"DNA? What's that for?"

"To recognize who you are. Deoxyribonucleic acid, a self-replicating material which is present in nearly all living organisms as the main constituent of chromosomes. It is the carrier of genetic information. I memorized it from the dictionary."

"Okay," I answered, still in the midst of understanding what he said, including the other word, dictionary.

"Now, we must discuss your family's business." He said, rubbing his hands together before clapping them. Without warning, he took my arms, took a miniature key out of his pocket, unlocked my cuffs and threw them to the ground, "Follow me."

I didn't answer him. Since my feet had reached the ground again, the floor turned bright. A screen? The man looked at me and then he just smiled. "That's a screen." I just shook my head vertically before following his lead. "Let me explain what your family's business was,"

I kept myself silent before he continued, "Your family made divisions."

"Divisions?"

"Divisions were groups of people with occupations they will have once they turn 18. Sadly, the almost finished project was closed down because of the Melioqen family's abrupt death in the year 2116."

"How did everyone in the family die?"

"Murder." Murder? Suddenly, questions flooded my mind- I wanted to ask him who killed my supposed family, but asking unnecessary questions were against the rules so I stayed mute. "Your parents were murdered by some unknown people. We didn't investigate because it was around the time the deportation had started...to the Quilteme Campus."

As we walked further down the hall, the ground of screens had come to an end. Rather, a colossal door stood on the sharp-end of the alley, it was painted white, it looked new, but as you looked closer, you could see a few scrapes and a lot of stains. My feet were tired from the uneven rocks that covered the grounds, creating chafes on my skin. "Here we are." He announced.

Beside the door was a miniscule door access control system. There were buttons with symbols I have never seen. Usually, a card would be swiped over and a door would be opened instead. As he pressed the buttons on it, the door opened, and there was a white room. It was empty, but on the left and right side, there were some carved circles with something that glowed inside of it. The ceiling, floors, and walls were all glossy like they were recently made.

As we stepped inside, the man's shoes made a sound I would hear when walking over wooden stairs. We had some back in our dorm that the military would walk on and it sounded just like this. My feet, however, made less sound because I wore no shoes. "What is this place?"

I looked around, I never saw a room as clean as this one. It looked like a place no one has ever been to. "This place is the room your family was working on. This is the room where we separate into different divisions." I looked at him, furrowing my brows. He didn't seem to notice my confusion, so he continued explaining. I didn't entirely hear what he said, but I heard some things he said in between, "We could have created a perfect system and become destroy the evil, and you all could have helped us, but you did nothing."

I bit on my lower lip. The man didn't understand that what he said was wrong. His words were selfish, but I couldn't care any less.