Chapter 6

As Audrey considered the possibility that Jack was Mr. Anonymous, she realized it couldn't be him. Mr. Anonymous had had a crush on her since the first day she moved there and Jack hadn't even known her name was Audrey and not Aubrey when he first introduced himself. Plus, Jack hadn't even filled out a Dollar Valentine survey that day in study hall, so there was no way it was him.

Wrapped up in her own thoughts, she didn't notice the group around Jade's Jeep until she was almost upon them.

Noah, Christian, Jade, and a girl that looked strangely familiar were all standing around, talking when she approached.

"Was that Jack you were talking to just now? Where's he going?" Noah asked as she walked up.

"Hold up. Jack was talking to you again??" Jade interrupted, her hands up in front of her like she was trying to stop traffic.

Audrey sighed, "It's really not a big deal..."

"What was he talking to you about?" The girl Audrey had yet to meet spoke up.

"I'm sorry, I don't think we've met. I'm Audrey." Audrey said as she stuck out her hand for a shake.

The girl smiled and shook her hand. "It's nice to officially meet you. I'm Jessie- I saw you at the last gig, but I didn't get to introduce myself. I had to leave right afterwards to spend the night at a friend's house."

Audrey suddenly realized where she recognized the petite, dark-haired girl from.

"Oh my gosh, you're the drummer! That's where I recognize you from!" Audrey exclaimed. "You were seriously awesome!"

"Thank you so much!" Jessie said with a big smile, her chocolate brown eyes crinkling at the corners.

"Can we please get back to Audrey and Jack, though?" Jade interrupted impatiently.

"There's nothing to talk about!" Audrey shot back, trying not to think about how good Audrey and Jack sounded.

"What did you guys talk about?" Jessie asked again, a curious look on her face.

"He just asked about the book I was reading and we talked a little about it. That was it... What? Why?" Audrey asked, getting anxious from the look Jessie had on her face. Audrey suddenly wondered if Jack and Jessie were secretly dating and that was why she was so interested. Audrey was instantaneously hit with an insane wave of jealousy for the girl.

"Nothing! Just leave it to Jack to chat up a girl about books. I swear he has no game." Jessie said, rolling her eyes.

"He wasn't 'chatting me up.'" Audrey said, making air quotes with her fingers.

"Honey, it's Jack. Yes he was." Jessie said knowingly.

Confused, Audrey turned to the rest of the group to see some smiles and knowing looks.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Audrey said to no one in particular.

"Auds, have you looked in a mirror before? Have you seen yourself?" Jade asked incredulously.

Catching her meaning, Audrey shot back without thinking.

"Have you seen Jack before??"

There was a beat of silence and then everyone started speaking at once.

"I knew you liked him!!"

"Interesting..."

"It's about time Jack got a girlfriend!!"

"Does this mean you'll..."

"SHUT UP!!" Audrey interrupted everyone.

"Just because I think Jack's attractive, doesn't mean anything. We've talked twice. Can everyone just calm down and let this go?"

Everyone silently nodded their heads.

"Jade, can we go home now?" Audrey asked.

-------------------------------------------------

The ride home was quiet. Jade looked like she wanted to say something, but kept her mouth shut until they pulled up in front of Audrey's house.

"So what you said back there.... does that mean you don't like Jack that way then?" Jade asked, eyes on her steering wheel.

"What? Where'd you get that from?" Audrey asked, confused.

"Well the whole 'finding him attractive doesn't mean anything' thing, kinda made me wonder." Jade said. Then she got an excited look on her face.

"Wait. So does this mean you do like Jack???" Jade squealed.

Audrey was already blushing.

"I don't not like him..." Audrey trailed off.

"What?" Jade looked confused.

Audrey sighed. "I just don't know him that well. Don't get me wrong, he's ridiculously handsome and talented and he likes to read which is a major plus, but I'd like to get to know him better." Audrey sighed again. "But we both know my track record with guys isn't exactly stellar so I'm not getting my hopes up. Besides I have Mr. Anonymous to worry about. I don't need to throw another guy into the mix."

Jade looked like she really wanted to say something, but eventually she just sighed.

"You know, you're probably right. Just focus on Mr. Anonymous and let the chips fall where they may." Jade said.

Audrey narrowed her eyes in suspicion. It was unlike Jade to give such mature advice. Eventually though, Audrey just shrugged and said goodbye, exiting the car.