Chapter 9

As Noah and Audrey walked towards the school, they spotted their friends gathered around a picnic table.

As they approached, Audrey was still thinking about the possibility that Noah was Mr. Anonymous. It would make sense.

She knew Noah had filled out a survey- he'd been the one to suggest she did it in the first place! And, now that Audrey thought about it, Mr. Anonymous had said his dad died years ago and Audrey hadn't met Noah's dad at the bookstore. Audrey was thinking about ways she could subtly bring up Noah's dad, when a loud giggle pulled her out of her thoughts.

She looked up to see Jack tickling Jessie. Jessie was giggling loudly and she whacked Jack on the arm playfully. Audrey looked at Jack and saw that he was smiling widely at Jessie and laughing along with her.

Just like that, Audrey's good mood vanished. Of course Jack wasn't interested in her that way.

As she and Noah approached the table, everyone was laughing at something Jessie had said.

"So this is why you said you'd meet me at school today?" Jade asked suspiciously gesturing to Noah.

"You two hooking up now, or something?" Christian asked Noah with a wink.

Before anyone could say anything, Jack smacked Christian upside the head.

"What was that for??" Christian turned on Jack, angrily.

Before Jack could respond, Noah jumped in.

"Audrey just got a job at my mom's bookstore before school today so I gave her a ride to school since she was already there. Come on, we better get to class." Noah said, staring at Jack intently.

Jack grabbed his backpack off the ground and stalked off towards the school.

"What's with him?" Christian asked, looking at Jack's retreating figure.

Everyone shrugged and went to their respective classes.

Later in class, Audrey felt a buzz in her pocket.

She glanced around the room before pulling it out to see who it was.

So you don't have a boyfriend or anything, right?

Audrey was confused why Mr. Anonymous would be asking her this right now, but responded anyway.

No... I've never had a boyfriend, actually. Why?

Audrey waited for his response, ignoring the teacher's droning.

Wait, never? How is that possible?

It just never happened, okay? Why did you ask if I have a boyfriend?

Audrey was defensive. She always felt like people judged her for her lack of dating experience - like there must be something wrong with her since she had never had a boyfriend.

Hey sorry - I didn't mean anything by it, I just find it surprising that someone as beautiful as you wouldn't have had a boyfriend before, that's all.

And what about the blonde kid you walked in with today? You're not interested in him?

Audrey melted a little as she read the words. Mr. Anonymous was so sweet! But then she read the next message. Blonde kid?