Author's Note: Regarding Vocations

In the game, there are roughly twelve vocational classes the player is able to choose from for their character and party members.

The player initially starts off as a Celestrian/Guardian, though this doesn't technically count as one of the playable vocations. After the events at the beginning of the game, the player's character awakens in the mortal world and is designated as a minstrel.

While you're able to choose your party members' vocations right off the bat, it's not until after clearing the main story quest at Alltrades Abbey that the player's character — as well as the party members — are able to change vocations. The main six vocations are warrior, priest, martial artist, mage, mintrel, and thief. However, there are six other specialty vocations that can be unlocked by completing various side quests. The specialty vocations include gladiator, paladin, sage, armamentalist, ranger, and luminary.

The vocation of a character determines what kind of equipment the characters can wear, which weapons they can use, what skills they're able to learn, and how strong they are. For example, minstrels, warriors, and thieves are all allowed to equip swords, while vocations like priests, mages, and martial artists cannot. (However, once the player becomes an omnivocational master in a certain weapon, they can use them no  matter their vocation.) Another example would be that some classes — like priests, minstrels, and mages — use a lot of magic and generally have higher MPs, while the other classes have low MP and rely more on brute strength.

When the player creates their party, they're able to decide what vocations they want their party members to have. Party members are also able to re-vocate to one of the specialist vocations once they've been unlocked. When the player and/or any of their party members re-vocate, their skill level is returned to one, and they must rebuild their skillset.

For the sake of the story, game features like levels, experience points, and such will be left out. Considering this is a story, it wouldn't make much sense. Before the story begins, a brief background on all the vocations is being provided. Have a look; hopefully it'll make things slightly less confusing.

-Mich