Titles

A title should be what the chapter or book reflects. You don't want to give away what happens in your title but saying something like "The Truth Behind Elizabeth's Death" because you're basically saying what happens in your story and it sounds kind of bland and boring. You can clearly tell it's a regular old "plain jane" mystery book.

A good title will help draw the reader in and give them the will and motivation to read your story. If you have a bland and boring title, no one will want to read it.

Lets compare these titles,what sounds better?  Missing or Into Thin Air

I would personally prefer to read the second title because it clearly states what happened without giving away any of the plot. The summery of your story plays a big part in attracting an audience to your work.

So, I come up with my book titles in a lot of weird ways. I get writers block when it comes to titles a lot.

My trick to coming up with titles is pretty easy. I listen to a lot of music, and I mean a lot of music. Most of my titles are actually song lyrics or titles.

For example, my oneshot Meet Me in The Middle is actually song lyrics.

Dancing in The Dark is from an Ed Sheeran song.

Stars is from a Rihanna song.

Lost Control Is from a Camilla Cabello song.

See the pattern?

I'm not the best writer ever, and there have been times when I asked my online friends for help on titles. There is no shame in asking for help in writing. Asking for help with a title can make your shitty title much better.

If I can't think of a title, I will name the chapter or book something dumb, do the writing, and change it later after I see what the story of chapter has become. I had a hard time coming up with a title for Me + You, but as I wrote, I started realizing where I wanted by story to go and it was easier to come up with a title.

Just because your title is the first thing the person will read, doesn't mean it needs to be the first thing you write on your page. You can always start or write your chapter/story and come back to the title after once you know where your story is headed.

If you ever need help with a title, feel free to message me for title help.

Love, Mya/Milheaven ❤